Potential swap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
fozzieskem

Re: Potential swap

Post by fozzieskem »

God I hate the marquee rule and the cap even more does nothing but hold the sport.back.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:16 pm God I hate the marquee rule and the cap even more does nothing but hold the sport.back.
unfortunately the marquee rule was brought in as the cap had been so poorly managed over a number of years. I didnt like much that Koukash added to the game as i think he was a lot of bravado and bluster, but he did push for the marquee (or 2nd one). At least the marquee you can pay over and above the cap but theres a chance that it is an isolating factor too when fans know that player x is marquee and paid £x thousands
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

the pieman wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:55 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:16 pm God I hate the marquee rule and the cap even more does nothing but hold the sport.back.
unfortunately the marquee rule was brought in as the cap had been so poorly managed over a number of years. I didnt like much that Koukash added to the game as i think he was a lot of bravado and bluster, but he did push for the marquee (or 2nd one). At least the marquee you can pay over and above the cap but theres a chance that it is an isolating factor too when fans know that player x is marquee and paid £x thousands
IMG are considering proposing a third marquee player.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:50 pm
They should do that and also make 5 club produced players exempt up to the age of 23
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:54 pm

They should do that and also make 5 club produced players exempt up to the age of 23
I agree.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

What do you mean it’s an isolating factor?

I don’t think it’s common knowledge across most fans who is marquee and how much people are paid.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The marquee rule would be great if the backwards RLF didn't make earnings outside if rugby count on the cap.

I still remember watching the chase a couple of years ago and the question was who was the rugby league England captain. It was lockers at the time and I just thought if it was another sport they would have know the answer because a name that big in the sport would be plastered on TV.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I'm more convinced than ever IMG havent a single original thought in their heads
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

They are every quiet IMG, it has to be said. They didn't seem to come into the game with a clear strategy on what they wanted to do otherwise we'd have heard of it by now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:14 pm
What do you mean it’s an isolating factor?

I don’t think it’s common knowledge across most fans who is marquee and how much people are paid.
pretty sure you know what i mean

you only need to come on here to see what i mean with some examples off the top of my head below

George Williams
John Bateman
Sam Tomkins
poss George Burgess

all roundly slated on a weekly basis for being marquee player and not being worthy of the money.

i dont profess to knowing what any player earns or have any inside knowledge, but many posting on here have / claim to have knowledge or at best an educated guess

tell me that being a marquee doesnt come with at minimum expectations of the fans, and that soon fans can turn against them. Equally there's a chance of resentment within the changing rooms (i know that can happen without the marquee rule) if players know what others earn