Peacock

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ancientnloyal

Re: Peacock

Post by ancientnloyal »

withers on the wing?

we need richards for goalkicking and to fill in at winger, hes all we have, except for calderwood.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan sister

Post by Wigan sister »

This has cheered me up no end! Really hope it's true. I can't wait for new season with or without Peacock.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

I'd have abit more confidence in the rumour if it had come from a Leeds fans to be honest the 606 rumour was started by a Wigan fan who perhaps a being abit optomistic.

There I no doubt that Wigan could afford another record transfer I mean £750,000 is just spare change to Whealen. The obvious questions is the salary cap and how much Wigan actually have left, this is a list of player In and Out in order of which players I think are earning the most, I would like to put some numbers to the name to help but I'm so bad at estimating numbers it would be pointless

(H)= High Wages (>20/20)
(L)= Low Wages (<20/20)

Out:
Danny Orr (H)
Brett Dallas (H)
Jerry Seu Seu (H)
Danny Sculthorpe (H)
Scott Logan (H)
Michael Dobson (H)
Wayne Godwin (H)
Bryn Hargreaves (H)
Oliver Wilkes (L)
Jordan James (L)

In
Stuart Fielden
Trent Barrett
Phil Bailey
Thomas Leuluai
Shane Millard
Michael Withers

I don't think that Barrett is on megabucks as some people thought, judging by the recent interviews it seems like this is something he wanted to do, of course he will be on a reasonably big wage but its not like Wigan would need to offer over the odd to get him he and he also said he could have got the same money back in Australia. Also don't think that Millard and Withers would be on that much, both were released from their clubs with Wigan the only team who seem to show interest.

When there were rumours of Wigan not being able to sign Withers most people believed it was because they squad was already over the salary cap it could have been the squad + big signing who was putting Wigan close to the salary cap.

I still think that Wigan need another Prop and there must be some reason why the squad numbers have still not been announced, signing Jaime Peacock would make me very happy although can't realisticly see it happening though.
MiThor

Post by MiThor »

best suggestion wait and see they said we would not get Nobby or Fielden, we did, if it happens then so be it , then the preverbial "s" will hit the fan with us being accused of just about everything by other clubs,mainly out of fear of what would be comming their way
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

MiThor posted:
best suggestion wait and see they said we would not get Nobby or Fielden, we did, if it happens then so be it , then the preverbial "s" will hit the fan with us being accused of just about everything by other clubs,mainly out of fear of what would be comming their way
I must admit, it would be worth it just to have a field-day of the sort we had when we signed Fielden, laughing at all the soft sods who raided our boards blubbering and crying about how much we were cheating.

I still can't see it happening, but funnily enough, Carney's been mentioned several times now and someone I was gassing to the other week said we were getting Carney back cheap, because Pat Richards was on his way to make room for one more big signing.

I dismissed this info - which was not from a known reliable source - as optimism over realism. But you never know. Just for the record, it's on the Leeds board that they're getting Richards.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Made a phone call and the answer was: “We have not and will not be signing Peacock this season, this cannot be made more clear”

Ha well it could have been true.
:(

adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Cruncher posted:
I still can't see it happening, but funnily enough, Carney's been mentioned several times now and someone I was gassing to the other week said we were getting Carney back cheap, because Pat Richards was on his way to make room for one more big signing.

I dismissed this info - which was not from a known reliable source - as optimism over realism. But you never know. Just for the record, it's on the Leeds board that they're getting Richards.
I have heard the Richards rumours, as for the Carney one I know there are a few people who do not think that he should come back.

A few people have told me Richards has been the one practising the goal kicking along with Ashton occasionally, so selling Richards would leave Wigan without a goal kicker unless the player being brought in was a goal kicker and I don't think Peacock is a goal kicking and despite his 100% goal kicking record for Carney I can't see him doing it regularly.

Personally I would keep Richards he was the leading try scorer in the NRL before he came to Wigan and through out that season he was impressive so he does have talent its just a case of getting the most out of all the players.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

After Wigan Watchers comments I think we can all assume that this latest rumour is dead and buried, It's not often he's wrong.

On the Richards thing. I think he will have a decent season this year, look how much he improved last year when he was moved to the Wing. He scored that great try against Bradford and he also scored quite a few more.
After settling in during 2006 I think with a decent centre? he will do ok and will hopefully score quite a few tries and land a lot of his conversion attempts. Roll on Feb 2007 :D

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan Watcher posted:
Made a phone call.....
To whom?

If they are so free with the information I don't suppose you asked if would we be making any more signings for the 2007 season?

If not get on the phone now!

Dave
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
Made a phone call.....
To whom?

If they are so free with the information I don't suppose you asked iy would we be making any more signings for the 2007 season?

If not get on the phone now!

Dave
For what it's worth, a guy I know who's slightly more reliable - he predicated both the Noble and Fielden signings - tells me we have one more significant signing to announce, but insists he doesn't know who it is and says that no-one at the club will tell him.