salary cap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: salary cap

Post by DaveO »

the grinch posted:
everyone agrees the cap has worked for some clubs and not for others.
I don't think it has worked at all. With two teams dominating rather than one this is little different than it used to be IMO. The same clubs are stuck at the bottom with the odd blip every now and again where one gets a top six spot but it never lasts.

Clubs who have improved like Hull have done this because they have a new ground, increased support and are better run than they used to be.
but it wont be challenged any time soon so we just have to work with it and do our best.if you where to ask any fan the question is the game better with the salary cap or without it i think most would say with the cap.
They would but how many of them can see past the Wigan dominance that they think has been ended by the cap? That is the simplistic view most fans take.
look what has happend with football! fans being priced out of watching there team players on massive wages corruption in transfere fees. i dont like the salary cap but to some extent it is working and without it some teams would simply go under.
That would never happen in RL because the money simply isn't there. That is what keeps prices down for the fans not the salary cap. Several clubs could already pay players higher salaries off their current turnovers and incomes so there would be no need to increase prices.

Dave
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

I still think that the cap is ridiculous but I'm willing to accept some that clubs should receive some form of reward for young players that are brought through their clubs system, such as the club is only required to declare 50% of the players salary on their cap until they are 24.

If the player is transferred to another club then the players new club would have to declare their whole wage.

At least this way we should see some more younger players being given a chance rather than the option of cheap overseas signings.
warrior4ever

Post by warrior4ever »

I dont disagree totally with the salary cap, but in its current status it does not make business sense. The cap is punishing clubs that work hard at bringing in more revenue, but helps that lower teams that seem to do little or nothing to increase their revenues. Cas went down last year still acheiving reasonable crowds yet wakefield get by each year with about 4000.

I would keep the salary cap, but it should be a percentage of a teams revenue from the previous year(s).

Also, this 20/25 rule is a joke. It should be up to each club how much they pay each player, within whatever salary cap is in place.

The governing body says they want a competitive league, but this will never happen unless something is done to force the lower clubs to try to improve. As someone has previously posted, apart from the odd blip it is still the sames teams in the top and bottom halves of the league each year.

the grinch

Post by the grinch »

it is frustrating i know to see the salary cap holding back the sport. but it was agreed to by all the clubs and it isnt going to go away. smaller clubs thrive on the salary cap because it stops bigger clubs taking talent away from them. the game as a whole has become more even weather this has anything to do with the salary cap i dont know. but gone are the days when you could run your finger down the fixture list and pick out the wins from the loses!
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
andybailey147

Post by andybailey147 »

your a busy chap dave
ragman

Post by ragman »

The game has become more even, that's true, but I honestly think that that's because overall standards are being driven down to a lowest common denominator.

In the modern era, the GB team has never been closer to the quality of the Aussies and Kiwis than in the late 80's and early 90's, when Wigan were the dominant force in Britain. What also happened was that other teams like Bradford, St Helens and Leeds became much more professional and business-like and caught up with us. I don't want to see us dominate the game like we did then, and I don't think it could happen again,but this cap business just stifles any prospect of clubs growing, developing a wealth of talent, and attracting interest from people new to the game

Instead of faffing about trying to pretend that we want a successful team in London, or the south of France for god's sake (does anybody really give a toss ??), why not have a system where say, any money that a club spends above a certain level, needs to be matched by that club in paying in to a development fund aimed at youth programmes, Cumbrian teams etc ?? Growth and success would be rewarded, that success would result in investment being ploughed back into the game, and there would actually be some point in running a club in a proper business-like manner.

It's not a salary cap, it's a salary handicap

[/quote]
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ragman posted:
Instead of faffing about trying to pretend that we want a successful team in London, or the south of France for god's sake (does anybody really give a toss ??)...
Um, perhaps the 6000 or so who regularly turned out for Les Catalans' home games? At the risk of repeating myself yet again, I'm not convinced that a Cumbrian team would be able to get as many fans as the French team, and with many many years of RL history I don't see why the south of France should be binned in favour of any other area. Indeed, if it came down to a choice between London and the south of France then I would personally say the Perpignan team should stay given there's a lot stronger RL heritage there than in our capital city, although perhaps our sports' sponsors would prefer to keep the London team going. But to lose both would only show our sport as being insular and lacking in ambition, which would only hurt us in these times of short attention spans, many and varied alternative pastimes, and certain other sports already hogging all the headlines. I'm not opposed to us having a Cumbrian team in Superleague, but as an addition to the league, not a replacement for one of the existing teams.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Fraggle posted:
ragman posted:
Instead of faffing about trying to pretend that we want a successful team in London, or the south of France for god's sake (does anybody really give a toss ??)...
Um, perhaps the 6000 or so who regularly turned out for Les Catalans' home games? At the risk of repeating myself yet again, I'm not convinced that a Cumbrian team would be able to get as many fans as the French team, and with many many years of RL history I don't see why the south of France should be binned in favour of any other area. Indeed, if it came down to a choice between London and the south of France then I would personally say the Perpignan team should stay given there's a lot stronger RL heritage there than in our capital city, although perhaps our sports' sponsors would prefer to keep the London team going. But to lose both would only show our sport as being insular and lacking in ambition, which would only hurt us in these times of short attention spans, many and varied alternative pastimes, and certain other sports already hogging all the headlines. I'm not opposed to us having a Cumbrian team in Superleague, but as an addition to the league, not a replacement for one of the existing teams.
Sorry but i think you are wrong on, a cumbrian side would be well supported in my opinion, as long as it was central located between both pockets of league within equal travelling distance of Barrow and Whitehaven i reckon we would see a good number of supporters from both areas and the areas in between supporting such a club, after all Cumbria is just as part of the heartland as Wigan/Leeds/etc are, we have the Millom which is oldest Amateur club in existance here, and have also produced many great players. I would rather see the time & effort put into a Cumbrian side that will help unearth even more talent for the future, rather than some Frog team who, in all fairness can play as crap as they like for 3 years because they are immune from the drop. :exc:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Today we saw a negative of the Salary Cap. Lote Tquiri is virtually pleading with RL to come a get him. Without a salary cap Whelan could use his money and we would be watching a truly awesome winger. :(
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

medlocke posted:
Sorry but i think you are wrong on, a cumbrian side would be well supported in my opinion, as long as it was central located between both pockets of league within equal travelling distance of Barrow and Whitehaven i reckon we would see a good number of supporters from both areas and the areas in between supporting such a club, after all Cumbria is just as part of the heartland as Wigan/Leeds/etc are, we have the Millom which is oldest Amateur club in existance here, and have also produced many great players. I would rather see the time & effort put into a Cumbrian side that will help unearth even more talent for the future, rather than some Frog team who, in all fairness can play as crap as they like for 3 years because they are immune from the drop. :exc:
In an ideal world, Cumbria would get a team with the same benefits in terms of protection as Les Catalans. The geography is a bit different, as you say it would need to be located somewhere that's accessible from all the bases of RL, but I suppose it is possible.

But my point is that there should not be an either/or requirement on these things. French RL is as traditional as a lot of the "traditional" British RL, and since our competition is supposed to be Superleague (Europe) then I would defend their right to take part if they can put up a competitive side. There are a lot of very good French players who deserve the chance to play on the highest stages, people have over-stated the number of non-French players in the Catalans team this year, the majority of the team was still French although obviously the pivotal player was a Kiwi. And the fanbase is there, bigger than Salford attracted despite having the whole of Manchester and Salford to potentially get fans from.

I'll admit I'm perhaps a bit too sceptical about a Cumbrian team, but I don't think RL does itself any favours by keeping the league so small and not allowing several new teams to come through without sacrificing some others. I would be very happy for a successful Cumbrian team to play SL, but let's have such a team in an expanded league, not sacrificing anymore teams that already in SL for no good reason.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]