MR HANLEY COMING BACK

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wigan Watcher

Re: MR HANLEY COMING BACK

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Fraggle posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
I don’t go in for that so called criticising players business. I go in for stating my opinion and nothing more. I believe there is a weakness in people’s personalities when they tell me what I’m doing or saying when it is not favourable to a player they like.
I agree with what you say, for the most part, although I think there is also a weakness in people's personalities that once they decide there's a player they don't like, that player can't do anything right in their eyes. A friend of mine used to criticise Farrell no matter what he did, this friend just didn't like the guy so even on those occasions when he was almost single-handedly driving the team around the pitch he was still in the wrong for doing too much (even if no-one else was doing their share - a game against London at Brentford about 3 years ago springs to mind when Farrell basically beat London himself in the 2nd half of the game...)

In the same way that some people get too defensive about their favourite players, some people can get equally blinkered in their dislike of a player. I wouldn't accuse you of either, and hopefully I'm the same, but I do think there is an element of that on here as well sometimes.

Talking sense again here Fraggle, it will never catch on you know!

Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

the grinch posted:
farrell was every bit as good a player as hanley was!lockers will get better and better he cost us nothing and doesnt take up a quota spot.if you where looking to replace lockers with another G.B player it would cost wigan another record fee! this again is only my opinion maybe you disagree but i wont take it personal. :wink:
Hanley was a good player. Farrell was a good player.
Take note not in the same sentence

The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

the grinch posted:
hanley was a fantastic player but the best for 30 years? im not sure about that. are we saying he was the best in his position or overall the best player we have had? lockers is a good player! nothing special but he is wigan born and bred and will only get better.
I'm saying Hanley is the best for 30 years and possibly the best ever.
Pain is temporary pride is forever
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
I might help O'Loughlin in 2007 to have a decent half back pair instead of trying to do the work Orr and Moran were meant to do, he showed improvement towards the end of the year when Dobson came as did many of the other players.
His game didn't change a bit when Orr and Dobson gelled and there is no evidence that you can show me that proves otherwise. He carried on exactly the same as he had done all season playing exactly the same game. Lots of tackles and defence but offering little on attack.

Dave
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

the treatment of lockers by some is very harsh,maybe some fans expected too much .I think he found being captain hard work in the position we where in last year but by no means was he crap. the problem is now Moran's gone we need another scapgoat. Wind your neck in. :D
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

DaveO posted:
adrenalinxx posted:
I might help O'Loughlin in 2007 to have a decent half back pair instead of trying to do the work Orr and Moran were meant to do, he showed improvement towards the end of the year when Dobson came as did many of the other players.
His game didn't change a bit when Orr and Dobson gelled and there is no evidence that you can show me that proves otherwise. He carried on exactly the same as he had done all season playing exactly the same game. Lots of tackles and defence but offering little on attack.

Dave
Indeed there isn't much difference between the amount of tries scored with Moran and Orr to with Dobson and Orr. I think he scored 6 tries in 16 games with oran and Orr and 4 tries in 14 games with Dobson and Orr.

However only Richards and Ashton actually scored more tries than O'Loughlin for Wigan in 2006.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
However only Richards and Ashton actually scored more tries than O'Loughlin for Wigan in 2006.
That is probably as much a poor reflection on our 3/4 line attack as it is any credit to Lockers. We didn't exactly score a lot of tries last seaosn did we! In any case by attack I was referring to making breaks and setting others up and things like that. Fletcher and Hock were far more effective at breaking the line IMO.

Dave
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

waterside glens posted:
the treatment of lockers by some is very harsh,maybe some fans expected too much .I think he found being captain hard work in the position we where in last year but by no means was he crap. the problem is now Moran's gone we need another scapgoat. Wind your neck in. :D
Well, for me DV must be this year's scapegoat! Without him we would have been able to afford another prop - and maybe even some cover in other positions!

My dislike of DV has as much to do with what he is costing us to warm the bench as it does with how little effort he seems to put in.

As Fraggle said I doubt that he could do anything to redeem himself after his last 2 seasons, I just don't like him as a player

Back on topic...

I think that the problem with Lockers is that because he is Farrells brother-in-law, everyone expects him to steer Wigan around the field and be a similar "captain fantastic" type figure.

Whilst good, I personally don't think Lockers is as good a tactical footballer as Andy was - although he is pretty sound defensively (high shots aside). However that isn't Lockers problem - as he can only play to the best of HIS abilities and not to the best of Farrell's.

If Lockers was nothing to do with Farrell, wasn't captain and we hadn't had our recent slump in form then this would not even be a topic for discussion. I don't remember anywhere near as many comparisons between Ellsion and Offiah or Robinson and Dallas.

Because of these factors comparisons were inevitable and Lockers carries a lot of expectation on his shoulders to be the player Farrell was - and he must be more than aware of this; something that cannot make things any easier for him.

At the end of the day Lockers is not (and may never be as good as) Farrell - this is not to say that he isn't or won't be a good player in his own right. How many other loose forwards (Hanley aside) were in the same category as Farrell? How many currently in SL? Not many.

One other plus for Lockers - I would imagine that he is a fair bit cheaper to employ than Farrell was; and I can't see him defecting to union any time soon either!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

If the best world XIII of all time was picked, Hanley would not be too far from the number 13 shirt, something even the Aussies would not disagree with. For all Hanley is portrayed as, one thing is for sure, he was a world class Rugby League player, with his best years at Central Park.
Lockers just isnt in the same arena.
Aye.
ragman

Post by ragman »

Panchitta Marra posted:
If the best world XIII of all time was picked, Hanley would not be too far from the number 13 shirt, something even the Aussies would not disagree with. For all Hanley is portrayed as, one thing is for sure, he was a world class Rugby League player, with his best years at Central Park.
Lockers just isnt in the same arena.
Aye.
And neither was Andy Farrell