i wonder?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
bertina

Re: i wonder?

Post by bertina »

gillysmyhero posted:
In last nights Wigan Evening post ML said that if Gleeson does well then Huddersfield might make an offer to take him permanantly.
With SL looking to reduce the number of overseas players at all clubs Wigan would be mad to sell a nineteen year old british lad with loads of potential.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

bertina posted:
gillysmyhero posted:
In last nights Wigan Evening post ML said that if Gleeson does well then Huddersfield might make an offer to take him permanantly.
With SL looking to reduce the number of overseas players at all clubs Wigan would be mad to sell a nineteen year old british lad with loads of potential.
I may have to disagree.

It's a popular myth that Wigan have sold loads of kids with masses of potential. I reiterate that the only one we released who we then went on to miss - in recent times, at least - is Luke Robinson, and those circumstances were quite unusual.

Brisco would not have unseated Radlinski, and now would probably be playing second-fiddle to Ashton. Neither Wilde nor Aspinwall have done a great deal since they left - they weren't kids anyway. Brown may come back to haunt us, but as has been said many times, he had countless chances and made a mess of nearly every one. On the other hand, the ones we've kept, while maybe not world-beaters, are now comfortable fixtures in our first team.

I agree, with a change in the import rules coming up, this decision looks questionable, but maybe Gleeson isn't cutting the mustard. The Wigan coaching staff are in a better position to know than us. It may also clear the way for the signing of another, better British player, in which case we'll have no complaints.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Cruncher posted:
bertina posted:
gillysmyhero posted:
I may have to disagree.

It's a popular myth that Wigan have sold loads of kids with masses of potential. I reiterate that the only one we released who we then went on to miss - in recent times, at least - is Luke Robinson, and those circumstances were quite unusual.

Brisco would not have unseated Radlinski, and now would probably be playing second-fiddle to Ashton. Neither Wilde nor Aspinwall have done a great deal since they left - they weren't kids anyway. Brown may come back to haunt us, but as has been said many times, he had countless chances and made a mess of nearly every one. On the other hand, the ones we've kept, while maybe not world-beaters, are now comfortable fixtures in our first team.

I agree, with a change in the import rules coming up, this decision looks questionable, but maybe Gleeson isn't cutting the mustard. The Wigan coaching staff are in a better position to know than us. It may also clear the way for the signing of another, better British player, in which case we'll have no complaints.
I think I agree with this. Gleeson is finding himself in position where he's down the pecking order amongst our centres, certainly Darryl Goulding is above him in the list as well as Bailey, Withers and probably even DV as well. So he's not likely to get many chances this year unless we get a lot of injuries in the 3/4 line. And if releasing him creates a space for us to strengthen another part of the team where we are perhaps a bit light in cover (prop?) then I'd be prepared to sacrifice a centre, even a British kid with lots of potential.

I also agree that we've more-or-less made the right choices in who we've released in the recent past. Luke Robinson probably had to go, if the rumours floating around during that season were to be believed, and everyone seemed very happy to let Wild, Aspy, even Hargreaves (not as good as Hansen IMO), Dave Allen, Bob Beswick and the rest of that group. Kevin Brown had failed to live up to his potential, for whatever reason, and to be honest the one I think we perhaps should have retained was Dodgy Hodgy who seems to have recovered the form at Salford that he showed earlier in his Wigan career when he ended up top scorer one season.

But players sometimes need to move to develop their game. Mark Smith has gone from perpetual understudy at Wigan to being captain at Widnes, and seems to be doing very well for himself now, which I don't think would have been the case had he stayed with us. Dodgy as well was perhaps stuck in a bit of a rut (injuries at Wigan notwithstanding, and having to get back in the squad perhaps too quickly because we were running out of players!). So I wouldn't worry too much if Gleason had to move on, he's not likely to get first team play at Wigan for a while which he needs to improve himself, and if that means he moves on elsewhere then I think that's part of the game these days.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Cruncher posted:
bertina posted:
gillysmyhero posted:
I may have to disagree.

I agree cruncher. Your spot on apart from Luke Robison i dont think any of the younsters weve let go have improved sufficently to be regarded as good enough for side.

Though Eobinson would have been a better player than Moran, Dobson was in a different class to Robinson.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Agree too, however, Surely Wagga would have been better long term back up for Higham than Millard.
gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

adrenalinxx posted:
gillysmyhero posted:
Permanatly on loan or permanatly on a contract?
From how i read it was that if Gleeson did well & huddersfield made an offer to sign him permanantly that wigan wouldnt stand in his way.

Its ok letting young players go when you have a squad that can cope with injuries,but after what happend last season with injuries and the fact that the squad for this season is even less on numbers than last season,it doesnt make sense to me to let a young player go who is probably only being paid a small amount.We need strength in depth like other clubs seem to have not just a strong first 17, Gleeson had gained valuable 1st team experiance at
widnes last season and we should have benefited from that not let huddersfield possibley reap the rewards.With McAvoy now gone we should not have let Gleeson go on loan.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Maurice has spent along time moaning at the RFL to not include players under 21 on the salary cap and I'm sure I read somewhere that the RFL agree and would introduce a rule to would mean all academy players would not count on the salary cap. If that is true then Maurice should be trying his best to keep the younger players not to let them go.

Although if Gleeson is being loaned to get him some game time I have no problem with that, I think in past years Wigan have not had the player numbers to be able to loan players out like Leeds were able to do. I think if a clubs has a fit and health squad it is a good idea to loan some of the players not featuring in matches week in week out to try and get the playing more.