vaealiki

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaiJones

Re: vaealiki

Post by DaiJones »

According to a New Zealand website, Parramatta are interested in resigning Mr V, who they descibe as having "stagnated" over here!
Vaealiki's Girl must have had a word
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

DaiJones posted:
According to a New Zealand website, Parramatta are interested in resigning Mr V, who they descibe as having "stagnated" over here!
Well he defiantly stank for the first 2 years :roll:
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

DaiJones posted:
:wink: I wish i could say it was my doing but unfortunately i don't have that much influence. When he left he said he always intended to return at some point but i think whether he does will depend on whether we keep two of our players who are off contract at the end of the season
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Vaealikis Girl posted:
:wink: I wish i could say it was my doing but unfortunately i don't have that much influence. When he left he said he always intended to return at some point but i think whether he does will depend on whether we keep two of our players who are off contract at the end of the season
Well the chances of your wish coming true just got better:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6470487.stm

"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

pie eaters posted:
Im sick of rugby union it just gets work, it seems every week another rugby league star is defecting
It's our own fault. The salary cap and other stringent 'level playing field' measures have left us massively vulnerable to attack.

We've even allowed ourselves to be socially engineered into thinking that spending big money on big name players is somehow immoral (thereby ruling ourselves out, not just of getting some more in, but of keeping the ones we've got).

RU is attacking and attacking, the RFL is doing absolutely NOTHING to stop it. It's like watching a car-crash in slow motion. I truly dread for our future.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Cruncher posted:
pie eaters posted:
Im sick of rugby union it just gets work, it seems every week another rugby league star is defecting
It's our own fault. The salary cap and other stringent 'level playing field' measures have left us massively vulnerable to attack.

We've even allowed ourselves to be socially engineered into thinking that spending big money on big name players is somehow immoral (thereby ruling ourselves out, not just of getting some more in, but of keeping the ones we've got).

RU is attacking and attacking, the RFL is doing absolutely NOTHING to stop it. It's like watching a car-crash in slow motion. I truly dread for our future.
Consistently good stuff Cruncher on this and other cap-related threads. I wholeheartedly concur. If this carries on we will have the most closely fought, mediocre standard sport in the world!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Consistently good stuff Cruncher on this and other cap-related threads. I wholeheartedly concur. If this carries on we will have the most closely fought, mediocre standard sport in the world!!
I think we already have. There was a post on rlfans about how good was Offiah and there are some links to YouTube videos of the great man.

What stood out for me in particular was one with Widnes v Hull 1989/90 and it was not his tries but the support play that made me sit up. It was breathtaking to put it mildly. A far higher standard than we see today as a rule.

Dave
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
I think we already have. There was a post on rlfans about how good was Offiah and there are some links to YouTube videos of the great man.

What stood out for me in particular was one with Widnes v Hull 1989/90 and it was not his tries but the support play that made me sit up. It was breathtaking to put it mildly. A far higher standard than we see today as a rule.

Dave
I've said it before, but I think it's worth saying again. The GB team that almost won the Ashes in 1990 (against a very strong Aussie team) was full of players who'd all be in RU if they were playing now. The likes of Hanley, Lydon, Edwards, Offiah, Myler, Davies, Gregory (both of them), Goodway, Hampson, etc - would all be in the other code now.

The mind boggles that standards of player acquisition and retention have been allowed to deteriorate like this purely for the myth of 'making it more fair'.
Bear

Post by Bear »

pie eaters posted:
I feel the same :angry:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

Matthew posted:
Well the chances of your wish coming true just got better:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6470487.stm
Yep saw the news on an update last night. Still not guaranteed that Vaealiki will be coming back but after speaking to a few people today it does look like it might be moving that way.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!