Salary cap

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Mother Feka

Salary cap

Post by Mother Feka »

sorry another salary cap thread, lol but i got told at the match yesterday that we are literally pennies under it so no point deduction :D :D :D :D :D

Cruncher

Re: Salary cap

Post by Cruncher »

Mother Feka posted:
sorry another salary cap thread, lol but i got told at the match yesterday that we are literally pennies under it so no point deduction :D :D :D :D :D
We may be pennies under it now, but the main issue is how many were we over it LAST season?

No-one seems entirely sure, but ironically, we could be miles over it now and a point deduction next season would make no difference as there's no relegation then (unless you've got a sh1t ground, no Academy, etc etc).

If we were over last year, however, then we could still end up taking a big points hit this year and have to spend a season in NL1.

Unless, of course, you mean we weren't over it last year either - though it didn't sound like you said that.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Fact is, if we are in NL1 come the new franchise... I doubt the RFL will exclude us from the top flight.

Massive fans home and away, most important rugby team in the media etc... great academy set-up 9compared to other teams)... best stadium.

I doubt Whitehaven will take our franchise spot.

why should we worry? (in the long run)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
superleague

Post by superleague »

ancientnloyal posted:
Fact is, if we are in NL1 come the new franchise... I doubt the RFL will exclude us from the top flight.

Massive fans home and away, most important rugby team in the media etc... great academy set-up 9compared to other teams)... best stadium.

going off this board and others everyone is under the conclusion that we are going to get a massive points reduction of 12 points which seems to be the figure thats floating around if this happens i dont think wigan could survive a points deduction that many so the club may well be hoping for this :( :angry: :angry:
Mother Feka

Post by Mother Feka »

i meant last season, i have no idea about this season.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

superleague posted:
ancientnloyal posted:

going off this board and others everyone is under the conclusion that we are going to get a massive points reduction of 12 points which seems to be the figure thats floating around if this happens i dont think wigan could survive a points deduction that many so the club may well be hoping for this :( :angry: :angry:
People have made a lot of assumptions, but most of the claims that we're definitely going to get 12 points deducted have come from very dubious sources. There were people making such claims even before the accounts were submitted, which was just daft. Whilst it's definitely true that we signed a very expensive player last year in Fielden, we released nearly an entire squad as well, so an assumption that we must be a long way over the cap because we bought Fielden is not strictly correct. The previous year, we had problems because Davico and Farrell were included in the cap for at least part of the season, despite neither playing any role in the season, but that obviously was not the case and we had to include both players' salaries for that season. We had to replace them, and probably hoped that we could keep those two salaries off the books. Last year, we knew exactly what was going on and were releasing players left, right and centre to give us salary cap space.

I daresay we might be a bit over the cap, I remember we seemed to be struggling to get clubs to take all the players we wanted to get rid of, but suggestions that we were massively over and so will definitely be docked 12 points are premature. And in any case, it's arguable whether the doubling of the salary cap penalties is legal in any case given that the rule change was introduced a long way into the season for which the cap was being applied. People would complain if, in August, we changing to having 4 points for a win instead of 2 as we had been for the rest of the season. I don't think this is really any different and would expect any club hit with the full penalty to appeal against the decision.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
superleague

Post by superleague »

Fraggle posted:
superleague posted:
ancientnloyal posted:

People have made a lot of assumptions, but most of the claims that we're definitely going to get 12 points deducted have come from very dubious sources. There were people making such claims even before the accounts were submitted, which was just daft. Whilst it's definitely true that we signed a very expensive player last year in Fielden, we released nearly an entire squad as well, so an assumption that we must be a long way over the cap because we bought Fielden is not strictly correct. The previous year, we had problems because Davico and Farrell were included in the cap for at least part of the season, despite neither playing any role in the season, but that obviously was not the case and we had to include both players' salaries for that season. We had to replace them, and probably hoped that we could keep those two salaries off the books. Last year, we knew exactly what was going on and were releasing players left, right and centre to give us salary cap space.

I daresay we might be a bit over the cap, I remember we seemed to be struggling to get clubs to take all the players we wanted to get rid of, but suggestions that we were massively over and so will definitely be docked 12 points are premature. And in any case, it's arguable whether the doubling of the salary cap penalties is legal in any case given that the rule change was introduced a long way into the season for which the cap was being applied. People would complain if, in August, we changing to having 4 points for a win instead of 2 as we had been for the rest of the season. I don't think this is really any different and would expect any club hit with the full penalty to appeal against the decision.
now you put it like that you have calmed me down from panic station :)
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Mother Feka posted:
i meant last season, i have no idea about this season.
Didnt we have to get the RFL to check our books before the approval for the Fielden transfer took place or was that just more rumour and speculation.

I would expect the club to be slightly over due to us picking up some of the salaries to the loaned out players but i have no club sources or blokes who are in the know so lets worry about the onfield action than the off.