London Matches

Organise your next away trip, see who else is going or even arrange group transport with other Wigan fans.
DaveHalstead

London Matches

Post by DaveHalstead »

Lifelong Wigan supporter, now living in Kent, so yesterday's match at Millwall was a rare opportunity to see a game. I fully support the idea of playing matches in London, but, if you do it again, please not Millwall. It's at least half an hour's walk from the nearest railway station, and the area around the ground is a dump.
If you do this again, (and I hope you do), try Crystal Palace or Fulham or any other reasonable size London ground where it's easier for the fans to get there by public transport.

The game was great, Matty Bowen easily man of the match.
josie andrews

Re: London Matches

Post by josie andrews »

DaveHalstead wrote:Lifelong Wigan supporter, now living in Kent, so yesterday's match at Millwall was a rare opportunity to see a game. I fully support the idea of playing matches in London, but, if you do it again, please not Millwall. It's at least half an hour's walk from the nearest railway station, and the area around the ground is a dump.
If you do this again, (and I hope you do), try Crystal Palace or Fulham or any other reasonable size London ground where it's easier for the fans to get there by public transport.

The people from the club who went down on Friday to make the stadium as much like the DW as possible did a fantastic job & deserve nothing but praise.

They set up the changing rooms & corridors to replicate the ones at Wigan. Set up all the advertising hoardings & all the flags around the pitch too. Even a 'club' shop. Well done to them all.

I thought it was a great success, but as you say the area around the ground leaves a lot to be desired. Not much better than Wembley if I'm honest.

Still had an enjoyable day & would defo go again even if I have to pay. Anything to follow & watch our lads.

"We are the boys, still at the top,
We're Kings of rugby & we're never gonna stop
We are Wigan, RLFC
And we will follow you wherever you may be"!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:
DaveHalstead wrote:Lifelong Wigan supporter, now living in Kent, so yesterday's match at Millwall was a rare opportunity to see a game. I fully support the idea of playing matches in London, but, if you do it again, please not Millwall. It's at least half an hour's walk from the nearest railway station, and the area around the ground is a dump.

The people from the club who went down on Friday to make the stadium as much like the DW as possible did a fantastic job & deserve nothing but praise.

They set up the changing rooms & corridors to replicate the ones at Wigan. Set up all the advertising hoardings & all the flags around the pitch too. Even a 'club' shop. Well done to them all.

I thought it was a great success, but as you say the area around the ground leaves a lot to be desired. Not much better than Wembley if I'm honest.

Still had an enjoyable day & would defo go again even if I have to pay. Anything to follow & watch our lads.

"We are the boys, still at the top,
We're Kings of rugby & we're never gonna stop
We are Wigan, RLFC
And we will follow you wherever you may be"!
Exactly right about Wembley!

A brand new Stadium situated in a poor part of London now.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

There was a train station right next to the ground . Took me 45 minutes from Gatwick airport via Victoria could not have been easier.

Regards , EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I fail to see how anyone who lives within a short distance distance of London can have any problem with getting to any sports venue when the city has such a fantastic public transport system of Overground/underground trains and buses as well as the 'clockwork train' around the east side of the city.

Only wish the same could be said for us in the North West.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Whelley Warrior wrote:I fail to see how anyone who lives within a short distance distance of London can have any problem with getting to any sports venue when the city has such a fantastic public transport system of Overground/underground trains and buses as well as the 'clockwork train' around the east side of the city.

Then again, when I go Wigan with its two stations and modern electric trains, I think it's pretty well served for public transport compared to darkest Wiltshire where I live, so I suppose these things are relative. :)

As for Millwall, I found public transport quite adequate to get there. I'm sure IL knows it's not ideal, but the practical difficulties of of finding an available stadium that can be hired for an acceptable cost limit his options.

Deafening silence on a London game this year, though.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

moto748 wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:I fail to see how anyone who lives within a short distance distance of London can have any problem with getting to any sports venue when the city has such a fantastic public transport system of Overground/underground trains and buses as well as the 'clockwork train' around the east side of the city.

Then again, when I go Wigan with its two stations and modern electric trains, I think it's pretty well served for public transport compared to darkest Wiltshire where I live, so I suppose these things are relative. :)

As for Millwall, I found public transport quite adequate to get there. I'm sure IL knows it's not ideal, but the practical difficulties of of finding an available stadium that can be hired for an acceptable cost limit his options.

Deafening silence on a London game this year, though.

Good. As Depeche Mode sang: Enjoy the silence.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I was going to post last week had anyone heard anything about a trip down south?

Does seem very quiet at the moment.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

fozzieskem wrote:I was going to post last week had anyone heard anything about a trip down south?

Does seem very quiet at the moment.
IL has said it is very unlikely that a game will be played in London this season.