Cardiff, we play on Saturday

Organise your next away trip, see who else is going or even arrange group transport with other Wigan fans.
cpwigan

Cardiff, we play on Saturday

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan v Saints fixture for the Cardiff Weekender has been set for Saturday 5th May, kicking off at 19:00.

Those going that day will be able to witness Les Catalans and Harlequins battle it out, and the return of the second biggest derby in rugby league, between Hull FC and Hull Kingston Rovers kicking off at 15:00 and 17:00 respectively.
FROM A TO B

Re: Cardiff, we play on Saturd...

Post by FROM A TO B »

At the risk of being Fraggled what a pile of CRAP.
This has now helped me make my mind up about whether to go or not.
Do I want to travel to Cardiff to see those other 2 games?
Will save my money and wait for it to fall flat on it's face.
Just think London might bring 1,500, Catalans 50, Hull and KR maybe 8-10,000 between them. Being generous, that gives maybe 12-13,000. are Wigan and Sainst going to bring 60,000 NO.
Will there be around 30-40,000 Neutral supporters? NO

By the time we play, I can imagine most of the Hull supporters will have left, so you will be seeing a 75,000 seater stadium looking very empty.
Bad idea, ripping off the fans, making a mockery of the fixture list.
Yes, I know it's my choice whether to go or not, but it wasn't my choice to lose a home game for what may turn out to be a very embarasing weekend for RL in general.
Rant over and sorry Fraggle! :angry:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Fraggle

Re: Cardiff, we play on Sa...

Post by Fraggle »

FROM A TO B posted:

Rant over and sorry Fraggle! :angry:
No worries from me, I don't think there was anything in there to break any rules. And you've saved me the effort of saying most of the same stuff as well...
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

A to B my thought exactly. London v Cats is the most unattractive fixture possible and the Humberside supporters do not have a wonderful reputation. A big long awaited Hull derby and Cardiff centre + booze :exc:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Hull fans would have left and already be fighting outside the ground by the time wigan/skints game begins. Some hull fans would catch coaches and trains for their long trip back, leaving one side st helens, one side wigan, and in the middle, all empty except for a Catalan flag and the die-hard London Crusader fans (12 of them).

Im not going to Cardiff and watch all the matches, I will probably arrive during the Hull war. No point setting off extra early and rush to get there for the frogs v quins match is there? in all honesty, who wants to watch that game? unless you are a fan of rugby league on the whole.

im only expecting to get there at about 4pm, leaving home at about 10am (toilet stops, food and im guessing a traditional toilet stop at tewksbury)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

I've decided not to bother going - I was initially undecided, but I'd rather save up for our CC final instead...the fact of having (at least) 3 other Wigan v Saints games to look forward to has been the deciding factor.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

I can just picture all those cars heading back up to Hull. Not a hub cap in sight :o
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
superleague

Post by superleague »

would you have to pay seperate for each game or would it be one ticket for all 3 games?
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

superleague posted:
would you have to pay seperate for each game or would it be one ticket for all 3 games?
I'm not sure if you can buy tickets for individual days on the Super League site they only have prices for a whole day or for the whole weekend.

I must agree that although the idea of having one big weekend of rugby is good the truth is it is just not going to work. I agree that the stadium will be half empty for most of the game and many of the fans would be spread out around the stadium so there will be no atmosphere.

I will being going to watch the Wigan v St Helens match but to be honest it is just an excuse to go out drinking around Cardiff.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
the fact of having (at least) 3 other Wigan v Saints games to look forward to has been the deciding factor.
I would not be surprised if that has not crossed the minds of quite a few people.

Playing Saints four times is daft so why go and trudge all the way to Cardiff for that especially when the previous two matches are those fixtures?

The Quins v Les cats game is the only non-derby of the entire weekend and the Hull v Hull KR game is a forgone conclusion so even if you are a die hard RL fan there isn't much that is attractive in those fixtures.

The few French supporters will probably stay and maybe a few Quins lot also but they are not going to bring vast numbers.

I'd be surprised if many Hull fans stay although there will be some who fancy the weekend.

I can't see fans who are on for weekend from teams playing on the Sunday wanting to arrive early in the day. They may turn up for Wigan Saints but then they can go to Cardiff for the weekend and just buy the cheaper one day ticker for their games on Sunday and presumably watch the Saturday games in the pub!

It is going to be interesting to see how many full weekend tickets the RFL sell and I for one won't be going all the way to Cardiff for an evening kick off nor to watch the previous matches.

Dave