Football super league

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Football super league

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Obviously football fans are against it but if it does come to fruition then it poses a problem in naming as the European super league will become synonymous with a terrible thing and may make our sport even harder to find for neutrals
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
CheshireWarrior

Re: Football super league

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I'm thinking, if Northern based football fans, who have an interest or basic grasp of Rugby League could become so angry and disillusioned in football (including season ticket purchases)......could they possibly consider watching RL and purchase a season ticket for a Northern Rugby League club?

I would have thought there must be United, Liverpool (possibly Arsenal) fans in Wigan.

Personally, I support Fulham so it doesn't make a huge difference to me. From a RL fans perspective, I'd like to think (if it does happen), football fans might invest in a RL season ticket. Can't see the football SL taking off with everyone from Government, pundits and fans hating the idea. Then again, money is money!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

My immediate thought is that we should drop the Super League name immediately. Not sure it ever had any value, arguably if we had it as a registered trade mark. But now we should definitely drop it to avoid any confusion, and have a name that identifies us clearly: "Rugby League" would be my suggestion.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Why should we drop it? Surely if they want to use it they should have to pay us to drop it. $1bn should do it? I'm already fed of getting Greek football tables or UK netball when typing in Super League Table into google, overseas fans will have no chance of getting to SL information if this goes ahead.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 pm Why should we drop it? Surely if they want to use it they should have to pay us to drop it. $1bn should do it? I'm already fed of getting Greek football tables or UK netball when typing in Super League Table into google, overseas fans will have no chance of getting to SL information if this goes ahead.
They already call the women’s football Super League! Which always annoys me when I hear it & find it’s not Rugby League!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said the decision to create the new league, which his club would be a part of, was in part taken because "young people are no longer interested" in the game.

Erm no people just can't afford the cost to watch football anymore.

To be fair this is RLs own fault in this era that fact they haven't trademarked the name is a joke.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:44 am Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said the decision to create the new league, which his club would be a part of, was in part taken because "young people are no longer interested" in the game.

To be fair this is RLs own fault in this era that fact they haven't trademarked the name is a joke.
Who can’t afford to watch football?

Stadiums are packed out week in week out.

Sky viewing figures for football are at its highest.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 am
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:44 am Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said the decision to create the new league, which his club would be a part of, was in part taken because "young people are no longer interested" in the game.

rd to watch footbWho can’t affoall?

Real Madrid v Barca / Real Madrid v Liverpool / UTD etc or Real Madrid v any other lesser club in Spain

this is what interests the fans, big games v big clubs, not watching them drub every other side in the league week in week out, where there is little or no competition
admittedly they havent gone about it very well, and it appears to be all about the money, but when did football clubs care about the fans (there arent many clubs around like that any more)

Re Who cant afford to watch football? There are quite a lot of fans who have been priced out. Talksport had a couple of callers yesterday who phoned in to say that they dont go to home games (i.e. father, son and nephew) because of the astronimical costs, but the cheaper away tickets make it viable. I know local fans who no longer have season tickets at the big clubs around the NorthWest, but now pick and choose when they can afford to go / share a season ticket
Football is now a big money game (business) and the fans are the ones with least consideration from owners / players earning massive salaries etc. I appreciate that lots of the money comes from TV rights, sponsorship but without paying fans the game is nothing
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:56 am

Who can’t afford to watch football?

When you are charging people between 500 to 800 quid for a season ticket to a Premier league team a sport is charging to much.

I'm happy if that's reasonable for you but young people who are just starting out in their careers or at colleague/uni, that's alot of money to spend.

If
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am
When you are charging people between 500 to 800 quid for a season ticket to a Premier league team a sport is charging to much.
It's worse than that. Someone I used to work with was a Man Utd season ticket holder and on top of his season ticket cost he had to commit buy a ticket for any home fixture the club had in other competitions. So FA cup, Champions League, Cabrio cup. The club did offer a ticket sale scheme where he could offer these tickets up for sale to other fans but if no one bought his ticket he was on the hook for the cost.

What I find interesting about this football super league saga is the outrage seems mainly to be about it being a closed shop. There are other closed shops in sport. The NRL for one and the Six Nations Rugby. I'd quite like our SL to be a closed shop given I have always thought P&R between a pro league and the rest is a farce.

Even though fans of clubs like Swansea and Burnley have zero chance of ever seeing their clubs join the existing elite (never mind this super league) at the top of the pile unless they are bought out by some super-rich entity who will throw money at them that is what the main fuss seems to be about.