Edwards Again

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Edwards Again

Post by DaveO »

jobo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 am
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:37 am
blindsideprop wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:13 am Personally i believe Edwards and agree with what he says.
I don't.
Neither do I.

Pure conjecture on my part but I'd say Edwards had a re-think when a better offer came in.

The irony is, that if IL had kept quiet about it, which he is often accused of doing too much, the fall out from this saga, would have been much less vitriolic.
Both parties agree the issue was over backroom staff with the club doubling down on this stating at the fans forum they won't sanction a coach bringing in his own staff and stating Edwards wanted to do this.

I don't think there is any need to speculate on other issues being behind it and there is no reason for Rads to reiterate what would be an elaborate lie if the backroom staff thing wasn't the stumbling block.

Stands out like a sore thumb that what Edwards says is correct. They had their discussion, IL announced him as coach and then they decided his back room staff were not coming (otherwise they would have approached them like Edwards states).

It's a stupid policy anyway, If Wayne Bennett applies for the Wigan job and wants to bring in an assistant and say a fitness coach IL would presumably say "no". Bye-bye Wayne Bennett, hello Matty Peet.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It's not stupid. Lenagan is no idiot. It's probably mostly about the money, pure and simple.

Most things are.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:08 pm It's not stupid. Lenagan is no idiot. It's probably mostly about the money, pure and simple.

Most things are.
Then why pretend that Edwards was coming when they clearly knew he wouldn’t be?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Who knows? I'm not a mind-reader, and I don't know what IL and KR's thinking was. I simply said that the policy of not allowing new coaches to being their own full team is probably money-based (and probably not that rare, either).
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:55 pm

I don't.
Neither do I.

Pure conjecture on my part but I'd say Edwards had a re-think when a better offer came in.

The irony is, that if IL had kept quiet about it, which he is often accused of doing too much, the fall out from this saga, would have been much less vitriolic.
Both parties agree the issue was over backroom staff with the club doubling down on this stating at the fans forum they won't sanction a coach bringing in his own staff and stating Edwards wanted to do this.

I don't think there is any need to speculate on other issues being behind it and there is no reason for Rads to reiterate what would be an elaborate lie if the backroom staff thing wasn't the stumbling block.

Stands out like a sore thumb that what Edwards says is correct. They had their discussion, IL announced him as coach and then they decided his back room staff were not coming (otherwise they would have approached them like Edwards states).

It's a stupid policy anyway, If Wayne Bennett applies for the Wigan job and wants to bring in an assistant and say a fitness coach IL would presumably say "no". Bye-bye Wayne Bennett, hello Matty Peet.
Wane Bennett is a decorated RL coach, Edwards is not and has spent 20 years coaching in union with no experience.

They had a discussion if a funny spin and the outcome pure speculation on your part. no matter what you think of it they had a verbal agreement/contract. This must have been discussed before they got to that point.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Neither do I.

Wane Bennett is a decorated RL coach, Edwards is not and has spent 20 years coaching in union with no experience.

They had a discussion if a funny spin and the outcome pure speculation on your part. no matter what you think of it they had a verbal agreement/contract. This must have been discussed before they got to that point.
I’ve said all along to have brought Edwards back it would have been an utter disaster it was a dumb idea from day one
jobo

Post by jobo »

I don't.
Neither do I.

"We were hearing rumours left, right and centre about him changing his mind but he never communicated these once with us"

That's what Radders said in the MEN article and I'd say he's telling the truth.

The back room staff thing seems to me a convenient red herring.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jobo wrote:
jobo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 am Neither do I.

"We were hearing rumours left, right and centre about him changing his mind but he never communicated these once with us"

How is it a red herring when at the fans forum Rads and IL went on about it at length?

If it is a red herring he was flat out lying at the fans forum.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
jobo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:52 am Neither do I.

The only speculation I see here is you saying “it must have been discussed before that point” implying the issue of back room staff was settled.

Edwards is telling you they did discuss it, he told them he wanted to bring in staff but they then did nothing about it between him being announced as the new coach without a contract and him deciding not to come. Which he says is because they did nothing about the back room staff.

IL and Rads said at the fans forum that they don’t want to bring in back room staff with a coach, period.

As to Bennet and his status as a coach you aren’t seriously suggesting IL didn’t announce Edwards return as something on a par with enticing such a top RL coach here? It was fanfares all round.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:13 pm
jobo wrote:

How is it a red herring when at the fans forum Rads and IL went on about it at length?

If it is a red herring he was flat out lying at the fans forum.
Both parties have agreed that the hiring of new back room staff was an issue, in fact it was the defining issue. If IFL could not adhere to Edwards request then he had no right to announce him as the next coach.