Dog gone: Dufty to depart for Super League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Dog gone: Dufty to depart for Super League

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:52 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 1:38 pm Wire are a bit light on quota spots this year

3 Peter Mata’utia
14 Jason Clark
18 Billy Magoulias

and I'm not 100% sure if Akouala (?) is on Wires quota or not?
Does Widdop not count? I know he was born in England but he grew up over there.
He's English surely? And counted as such even with the sports more barnpot rules that can't fly
Being English counts for nothing, Herbie Farnworth would count as a non-federation player.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:44 pm

He's English surely? And counted as such even with the sports more barnpot rules that can't fly
Being English counts for nothing, Herbie Farnworth would count as a non-federation player.
i reckon that could get challenged in the courts if someone were to try and sign him. Assuming he is English with an English passport, then he is being restrained from plying his trade in England?? just cant see how that could be prevented

we have all sorts of rules for players to play for a country not of their birth - seems like these days all you need to do is have been on holiday to Spain and you could play for Spain (just an example), but someone who was born in England has trade restrictions preventing him from potentially playing for an English club :roll: :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

the pieman wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:44 am
i reckon that could get challenged in the courts if someone were to try and sign him. Assuming he is English with an English passport, then he is being restrained from plying his trade in England?? just cant see how that could be prevented

we have all sorts of rules for players to play for a country not of their birth - seems like these days all you need to do is have been on holiday to Spain and you could play for Spain (just an example), but someone who was born in England has trade restrictions preventing him from potentially playing for an English club :roll: :roll:
because thats the rule, he chose to go play in Aus at a young age
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Well that’s just wrong.
Doesn’t surprise either with the RFL though
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Barney841 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:29 pm
Well that’s just wrong.
Doesn’t surprise either with the RFL though
Its all to do with the rules meaning you can't discriminate in europe based on nationality. The rules about being federation trained, rather than nationality or country of brith, make sense in that context - in fact I think they are far clearer when you take into account all the different national eligbliity requirements for the international game. The UK may change our national law at some point, leaving the RFL free to change their rules too. However, they'd still have some of the teams in the competition under different national ;aw, so IMO they'd be likely to stay with the current federation trained rules for the foreseeable.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

pedro wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm

still doesnt feel right though as he was playing for Wigan St Pats at junior level, admittedly, he never signed for a professional club at any level over here that i am aware of

on a different note, just decided to google about him 6ft3 and 16st 10 centre - he's a fair unit :)
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

So he gets tarnished as non federation because he was lucky, or unlucky, to get scouted for his first professional contract in Australia? Brilliant!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

Barney841 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:22 pm

So he gets tarnished as non federation because he was lucky, or unlucky, to get scouted for his first professional contract in Australia? Brilliant!!
His uncle is ray unsworth sorted it for him, I’m sure he’s not too bothered as he’s ripping it up in Brisbane…
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I hope Wane doesn’t see it this way and not pick him.
Best centre we’ve potentially got
pedro

Post by pedro »

Barney841 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:58 pm

I hope Wane doesn’t see it this way and not pick him.
Best centre we’ve potentially got
counting on the quota and being eligible are 2 different things