Worrying Comments

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Charriots Offiah

Worrying Comments

Post by Charriots Offiah »

https://www.totalrl.com/ex-wigan-warrio ... o-the-nrl/

IMG need to do something to generate more income or the level of competition will continue to decrease. A minimum £85k salary for a junior will turn heads. We are so for behind the NRL it is unreal.
Sutty

Re: Worrying Comments

Post by Sutty »

The money is there, Sky are loaded, as too are other broadcasters. I suppose that's one of the main priorities of IMG, to get more funding into the game. Look how investment has turned other sports around, darts, cricket etc. They didn't have anywhere near the same level of publicity 15 - 20 years ago, but they get a huge amount of air time and publicity these days, especially on Sky.

fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Sutty wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm The money is there, Sky are loaded, as too are other broadcasters. I suppose that's one of the main priorities of IMG, to get more funding into the game. Look how investment has turned other sports around, darts, cricket etc. They didn't have anywhere near the same level of publicity 15 - 20 years ago, but they get a huge amount of air time and publicity these days, especially on Sky.
Sky though are a hard headed business they don't throw it about bar football so it's not as easy as we would like it to be I feel
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I totally agree, Fozzie. That's hopefully where IMG can have some influence though. As a product, I struggle to think of a better sport than Rugby League, especially when you look at the NRL games. I'm not saying we'll get Superleague to that level, but there's no denying that the sport has been on a downward trend for a long time now.

morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Sky's price will be determined by viewing figures, along with a bit of what they can get away with.

IMG's job, therefore is to make the game more appealing and better known and understood, so that more people watch it on Sky.

The RLWC will have been a big help with this, but unfortunately the benefits are likely to fade quickly due to the NRL's attitude to International RL, and little follow-up to connect the newly interested and potential fans with SL.

Channel 4 coverage is the one hope I can currently see.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐