St Helens star Lewis Dodd signs with leading NRL agent after World Club Challenge exploits

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

St Helens star Lewis Dodd signs with leading NRL agent after World Club Challenge exploits

Post by josie andrews »

Dodd kicked the winning drop goal for Saints in the World Club Challenge.

St Helens star Lewis Dodd has signed a contract with one of the leading player agencies in the NRL. Dodd, who kicked the winning drop goal in the World Club Challenge, has signed with SFX Sports, one of the largest agencies down under.

The company confirmed Dodd's signature over the weekend in a development that suggests Dodd has set his sights on making a move down under. The 21-year-old has been heavily linked ever since his exploits down under with St Helens, with reports emerging days after his performance in the World Club Challenge that a stack of NRL clubs had taken notice.

The fact he has now signed with an NRL-based agency suggests it's a move that he's keen on making at some point in the future. He is under contract with the Super League champions until the end of 2024 but that does mean he is free to negotiate contracts with NRL clubs come November of this year.

Interest in Dodd down under is unsurprising. Reports down under suggests clubs feel there is a genuine halfback shortage in the competition, leaving them turning to Super League for potential new recruits. Given his age, and talent, Dodd is likely to be a prime target for any club looking to recruit a halfback moving forward.

He isn't the only St Helens player linked with a move to the NRL since they stunned Penrith Panthers. The likes of Jack Welsby and Curtis Sironen have also caught interest according to reports, though Welsby is under contract and Sironen is close to activating a clause to extend his contract.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: St Helens star Lewis Dodd signs with leading NRL agent after World Club Challenge exploits

Post by fozzieskem »

Well I'll say this if I was at Saints I'd be worried by this turn of events because you don't sign with an agency halfway round the world if you at least didn't want to explore the possibility of a move there
Gerrumonside

Re: St Helens star Lewis Dodd signs with leading NRL agent after World Club Challenge exploits

Post by Gerrumonside »

About time some other teams have the NRL’s attention - feel like we’ve had more than our fair share of players heading down under…
craigo

Post by craigo »

He is off. Will be back soon enough.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:30 pm Well I'll say this if I was at Saints I'd be worried by this turn of events because you don't sign with an agency halfway round the world if you at least didn't want to explore the possibility of a move there
Not bothered just as long as Welsby stays put or comes here
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:06 am
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:30 pm Well I'll say this if I was at Saints I'd be worried by this turn of events because you don't sign with an agency halfway round the world if you at least didn't want to explore the possibility of a move there
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why would he come here?? Let him go or stay at Saints, he hates Wigan Warriors!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Paul Wellens speaks on St Helens star signing with NRL agent

Ever since the World Club Challenge, there has been a heightened interest in St Helens stars from NRL clubs.

The main one was of course Jack Welsby with NRL clubs reportedly happy to pay a huge fee to tempt him down under.

But the hero of the World Club Challenge is another player who NRL clubs are said to be interested in and now one of Australia’s top journalists has claimed that Dodd is planning ahead for a move to the NRL.

The Sydney Morning Herald’s Danny Weidler was speaking on The Big Sports Breakfast and claimed that Dodd’s recent decision to join SFX Sports which was announced on their Instagram page three days ago is part of his plan to eventually earn a move to Australia.

“He’s employed George Mimis to get him a club in Australia basically,” Danny Weidler said on Sky Sports Radio’s ‘The Big Sports Breakfast’.

“I know he’s got a bit of time left on his contract at St. Helens. He’s one to watch.”

In terms of his contract, Dodd recently signed a new deal which will keep him at the club until the end of the 2024 season though there are options for him to remain at the club until the end of 2026.

Speaking on the development of Dodd signing with an NRL agent, Saints boss Paul Wellens said on Saints TV:

“Lewis is a great great young lad and not just Lewis but any player has the right to sign with any player or manager agency that they want.

We respect those decisions. Lewis is with us in 2023, he’s contracted for 2024.

“We’ll obviously do all we can as a club to try and keep him here because he’s a player we love and value and we think he’ll be key to our success.

“But also Lewis is a grown adult who can make decisions for himself but what I do know with Lewis and his relationship with the club is that it’s a very respectful one, so any conversations whether it’s now, six months or 12 months time, they’ll be done in the right way.

He’s a really humble down to earth kid who wants to get better, despite the success he’s already had in his career so far and we’ll continue to help him to do that.

“Right now is what we’re concentrating on and right now we have a fantastic player who’s going to help us be successful moving forward.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/paul-wel ... ent-71714/
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:47 am
Why would he come here?? Let him go or stay at Saints, he hates Wigan Warriors!!
I've no idea. He's at a more successful club with the chance to go to the NRL " hating" Wigan needn't be a consideration. However I like the idea of him being here along with Rocky another Wigan product who has a youth was a talented prospect. What happened? You usually know the ins and outs of these things. Looking through the prism of my claret glass it's too opaque for me to see. Anyway I'm pleased he'll be back here.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

archiekeith wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:22 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:47 am

I've no idea. He's at a more successful club with the chance to go to the NRL " hating" Wigan needn't be a consideration. However I like the idea of him being here along with Rocky another Wigan product who has a youth was a talented prospect. What happened? You usually know the ins and outs of these things. Looking through the prism of my claret glass it's too opaque for me to see. Anyway I'm pleased he'll be back here.
So it’s the Claret that is clouding your judgement re Welsby. 😂😉

He has stated he prefers Latics to us!
Jack Welsby grew up in Wigan, his dad and grandad are Warriors fans and he is a regular at the DW Stadium to watch his beloved Latics...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... elens.html