On Report - could be decided by Video Ref?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
CherryandWhiteandProud

On Report - could be decided by Video Ref?

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

I had this idea while watching the game on tuesday- the man put on report for leeds coontinued the game where he could have been sent off. This does absolutly nothing in wigan's favor apart from the penalty. The player may recive a suspension or fine but this is not justice for the non-offending team, I have seen this occur in several other Sl and NL1 games.

One way to improve this rule is to allow on-field punishment and on-report for a bad foul, such as a sin-binning or sending off and then the challenge can be looked at by the committee to see if any extension on the players punishment is needed.

The better way is the video ref. On-field punishment can be decided there and then, and the video ref can also decide whether the foul was bad enough to suggest an on-report, so the committee can decide if the punishment should be extended.I know that there isn't always a video ref but why not use it when it's there?

Good idea or am i talking garbage again?
BriH

Re: On Report - could be decid...

Post by BriH »

In my post about "technical sin-binning" and being put on report this was my point exactly. The player on report is still on the field to the advantage of his team, irrespective of what happens in the future. I think a player put on report for dangerous play should automatically get 10 mins. in the sin-bin.
You are absolutely right.
Fraggle

Re: On Report - could be d...

Post by Fraggle »

BriH posted:
In my post about "technical sin-binning" and being put on report this was my point exactly. The player on report is still on the field to the advantage of his team, irrespective of what happens in the future. I think a player put on report for dangerous play should automatically get 10 mins. in the sin-bin.
But the original idea behind on-report was that it was for incidents that the referee didn't see. And so for incidents that might not have actually happened! Yes, a player goes down off the ball or gets tackled badly and we assume something must have happened, but there are enough cases of players being let off with no case to answer to suggest that not everything that leads to on-report is even worthy of a penalty, let alone 10 minutes in the bin. You would be pretty upset to get 10 minutes on the sidelines for not actually doing anything wrong. Don't we in this country operate the priciple of innocent until proven guilty? (except for the TV licensing people who say you are potentially guilty of licence evasion unless you explicitly tell them and get verification that you don't have a television...)
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Fraggle posted:
BriH posted:
But the original idea behind on-report was that it was for incidents that the referee didn't see. And so for incidents that might not have actually happened! Yes, a player goes down off the ball or gets tackled badly and we assume something must have happened, but there are enough cases of players being let off with no case to answer to suggest that not everything that leads to on-report is even worthy of a penalty, let alone 10 minutes in the bin. You would be pretty upset to get 10 minutes on the sidelines for not actually doing anything wrong. Don't we in this country operate the priciple of innocent until proven guilty? (except for the TV licensing people who say you are potentially guilty of licence evasion unless you explicitly tell them and get verification that you don't have a television...)
What would happen is not lots of On Report sinbinnings, rather the refs would stop using On Report unless they thought it warrented at least a yellow card. It would probably cut down on the number of red cards given - as the refs will take any available route out of a difficult descision.

IMO On report is a bit of a waste of time at the moment. Anything resembling a serious foul where there is any element of doubt in the officials mind is thrown into the On Report pot. On the other hands, forcing the refs to make descisions will envitably led to them getting more wrong!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CherryandWhiteandProud

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

My other point is that if you have a video ref- SO USE HIM! :wink: