STAINS AND THE SALARY CAP?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
FROM A TO B

STAINS AND THE SALARY CAP?

Post by FROM A TO B »

Below taken from the BBC today:
St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus has revealed he has dismissed an offer from an Irish-based consortium to buy the Super League champions.
McManus said they were "genuinely wealthy" but "totally unsuitable".

"It was a total farce. They'd never seen a rugby league game in their lives and didn't even know where St Helens is," said Saints' majority shareholder.

"There is no way I would sell my share in the club to anyone unless I felt they could do a better job than me."

McManus, a 50-year-old retired financier who was born and bred in St Helens, added: "Their only stipulation was that the current management should remain in place long term. It was knocked back immediately."

Within the next few weeks we should have a detailed announcement and press conference about the new stadium

Saints chairman Eamonn McManus

McManus is considered to be largely responsible for transforming the fortunes of St Helens, who are also the world club champions, off the pitch.

The club were £4m in debt and losing £1m a year when McManus joined the board five years ago but reported a loss of just £25,000 in 2005.

They expect to show a profit for 2006, during which they completed a clean sweep of the major trophies.

McManus is thought to have put around £2m of his own money into the club over the last five years.

St Helens are close to announcing a move to a new stadium just outside the town centre to replace the dilapidated Knowsley Road, which has been their home for more than a century.

"There are always people interested in buying and selling, like there are in any business," said McManus.

"But I have a controlling shareholding in the club and I'm committed to the club for at least another five years, with the new stadium and beyond.

"Within the next few weeks, we should have a detailed announcement and press conference about the new stadium."

Saints are expected to announce changes behind the scenes at the club in the next few days.

so if in debt and operating at a loss, then are they not in breach of the cap? I thought the whole idea of the cap was to stop clubs getting into financial difficulties :conf:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
mike binder

Re: STAINS AND THE SALARY CAP?

Post by mike binder »

FROM A TO B posted:
St Helens chairman Eamonn McManus has revealed he has dismissed an offer from an Irish-based consortium to buy the Super League champions.

"It was a total farce. They'd never seen a rugby league game in their lives and didn't even know where St Helens is," said Saints' majority shareholder.

"There is no way I would sell my share in the club to anyone unless I felt they could do a better job than me."

McManus, a 50-year-old retired financier who was born and bred in St Helens, added: "Their only stipulation was that the current management should remain in place long term. It was knocked back immediately."

Within the next few weeks we should have a detailed announcement and press conference about the new stadium

Saints chairman Eamonn McManus

McManus is considered to be largely responsible for transforming the fortunes of St Helens, who are also the world club champions, off the pitch.

The club were £4m in debt and losing £1m a year when McManus joined the board five years ago but reported a loss of just £25,000 in 2005.

They expect to show a profit for 2006, during which they completed a clean sweep of the major trophies.

McManus is thought to have put around £2m of his own money into the club over the last five years.

St Helens are close to announcing a move to a new stadium just outside the town centre to replace the dilapidated Knowsley Road, which has been their home for more than a century.

"There are always people interested in buying and selling, like there are in any business," said McManus.

"But I have a controlling shareholding in the club and I'm committed to the club for at least another five years, with the new stadium and beyond.

"Within the next few weeks, we should have a detailed announcement and press conference about the new stadium."

Saints are expected to announce changes behind the scenes at the club in the next few days.

so if in debt and operating at a loss, then are they not in breach of the cap? I thought the whole idea of the cap was to stop clubs getting into financial difficulties :conf:
totally correct the idea of the sallary cap is to stop clubs spending over there limits if they are losing money they are doing something wrong ,may not be the players wages but again theer wifes are rich as are their off shore accounts :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
butt monkey

Re: STAINS AND THE SALARY CAP?

Post by butt monkey »

FROM A TO B posted:

Hold on a second, here it says that the club is about to turn in a profit. Yet at the same time, says the Chairman has put in £2 million of his own money! I wonder, if this was a loan and the debt is owed to Mr McManus - to be paid when/if the club gets its accounts in order. Or is he so loaded, it was a tax deductable gift!

Are there any taxmen who post on this board I wonder!!! :D
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
CherryandWhiteandProud

Re: STAINS AND THE SALARY ...

Post by CherryandWhiteandProud »

The rules don't seem to apply to the World Champions... :angry:
fitzy

Re: STAINS AND THE SALARY ...

Post by fitzy »

your right cherry and white it seems none of the rules apply to the so called world champions I wonder whether richard lewis has an off shore acount aswell?