Ganson at it again

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
adrenalinxx

Re: Ganson at it again

Post by adrenalinxx »

OAM posted:
i have asked if any one knows if ganson can get demoted

and if not demoted

struck off the referees panel

this proved he is bent as a 3 bob bit
In football referees who have a poor game are sent to referee in lower division or are given the weekend off to do some assessment thing on other referees.

I have mixed opinions over who is to blame about the poor refereeing, Ganson for one likes to draw attention to himself but the RFL aren't doing much to help them by giving them confusing rules and telling them what to focus, that has lead to the current situation were technical offenses are worse than things like high tackles etc.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well both Ganson AND Klien have been dropped form the CC this weekend.

And Klien has been carpeted for getting Ganson to give the penalty against the Bulls in the first place.

See here:

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... tlead.html

So the penalty should never have been given, in that
Klien was wrong to instruct Ganson to give it, Ganson was wrong to listen to him and then Ganson confounded those two errors by missing the offside and being arrogant enough not to check out the try back with Klien despite having referred several to him already in the game

Laurel and Hardy would have done a better job than these two!

RL looks stupid with two of its so called full time refs displaying all the faults the fans hate in about 60 seconds and directly affecting the result of a match.

Any sympathy for Ganson and Klien is misplaced. Now they are full time they should not be making mistakes like this at all.

Makes you wonder how many other duff calls have been made by Klien when acting as video ref doesn't it?

With something as high profile as this Ganson, Klien and Cummings should all resign.

Dave

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

FROM A TO B posted:
Based on the fact that Klein has admitted to calling down to Ganson stating it was a try,
No he didn't.
If this is the case, then do we and a few others owe Mr Ganson an apology, as he was advised on the call prior to giving the try :conf:
No we don't ! Klien incorrectly called the initial penalty down. Ganson then went and made the error of not spotting the offside from the penalty.

Klien did not rule on the try and did not advise Ganson on it.

Two separate bits of incompetence by two different refs both of whom who are not officiating this weekend as a result.

To use the Mcnamaras words it was Klien who "made up" the penalty. It was then Ganson who went and missed the offside at the penalty and didn't consult the video ref.

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I dont think they should resign after those mistakes, maybe perhaps somebody or a panel from Australia perhaps should observe Cummings at the top to see if he is doing his job correctly, then this can filter through to our 6 FT refs.

I believe refereeing will get better as the season progresses as they've not been full time for long (months)... they made a mistake - inexcusable yes and dropping them from the CC is perhaps mandatory
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal posted:
I dont think they should resign after those mistakes, maybe perhaps somebody or a panel from Australia perhaps should observe Cummings at the top to see if he is doing his job correctly, then this can filter through to our 6 FT refs.

I believe refereeing will get better as the season progresses as they've not been full time for long (months)... they made a mistake - inexcusable yes and dropping them from the CC is perhaps mandatory
I am not sure on what you base your opinion that the reffing will get better as the season progresses given it seems to be getting worse as we saw at the weekend.

The reason I mentioned resignations is that all three of them have IMO made mistakes in a very high profile event. All the talk is about refereeing mistakes at the top level in RL, not the event itself.

When things like this happen in business if mistakes are made and no one outside the company cares people get a telling off and carry on. But when the credibility of the company is affected then however serious or not the mistake is, then heads can roll either by people falling on their swords ans resigning or if they won't then with them being sacked.

Action is taken to restore credibility which often means one or more resignations or sacrificial sackings.

Given in my opinion losing these three would actually improve the officiating in the game the RFL should take the opportunity that has presented itself to clear them out!

Cummings at least as being the top dog should do the decent thing and resign so we can have a more capable referees leader in place who can make it clear to the refs just what the rules actually are!

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I was thinking along the lines of simple experience

full time > experience > improvements > mistakes made > improve on them

perhaps like any other full time job.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

ancientnloyal posted:
I was thinking along the lines of simple experience

full time > experience > improvements > mistakes made > improve on them

perhaps like any other full time job.
That's the one A&L. That's the main way to improve, no matter what job you do.

When people are 'forced' to resign due to errors it always makes me wonder whether they are infact the best person to do that job based on the fact that they'll learn from the experience. Bringing in somebody new and inexperienced is surely more open to making errors? You can learn from other people's mistakes but never as good a lesson as when you make the mistake yourself.

The errors all seem to have compounded each other. The first involved Klein breaking the VR rules. I'm sure a few video refereeing sessions will result from that to iron out what advice can and cannot be given.

The second error; allowing a penalty to be taken when players are offside is a more interesting issue. The touch judges have taken up position behind the sticks so are not best placed to see offside. Ganson was more concerned with the Bulls players distracting the kicker to check for offside. The learning from this is to check the attacking line on all penalties.

I suspect the reason he didn't go to the video referee was that he and his touch judges were happy with the grounding. Wasn't that what the Bulls players were complaining about? I also wonder whether Klein then told him he'd given him mal-advice and he just wanted to get off the field as quickly as possible?

It's shame that the weekend will be remembered for a compilation of errors in the last 60 seconds of a game but I certainly don't think it's worth anyone resigning over.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Full time does not equate to better. Indeed, many of you might do a better job if you worked part time.

In RL, refereeing full time means too much time on your hands. Too much time equates to tampering with the rules when it is not required.

Its like fitness. Fitness reduces fatigue thereby it supposedly reduces errors. That is what happens in a good referee. If you are a bad referee it makes no difference whatsoever as Ganson proved conclusively. Far too many of these referees read / listen to the media and think they are more important than they actually are.

I want to see these full time referees spending far more time developing referees in the lower tiers AND they can referee lower tier matches when available.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
...I want to see these full time referees spending far more time developing referees in the lower tiers...
Which aspects of the current RFL development structure do you not like CP?
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

rob

why dnt you get klown of that picture it does not do you any justice
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White