Bradford want Leeds defeat REVERSED!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ancientnloyal

Bradford want Leeds defeat REVERSED!

Post by ancientnloyal »

Sorry is this is on a Ganson thread but saw this (www.skysports.com)

BULLS WANT LEEDS DEFEAT REVERSED

Bradford have called on rivals Leeds to hand over the points from their Millennium Magic clash after referee Steve Ganson admitted he had made a crucial error.

Ganson has accepted that he wrongly awarded the Rhinos' match-winning try as they edged home to a 42-38 success in the top-of-the-table meeting.

The match official said he blundered in not consulting video referee Ashley Klein over the try from Leeds substitute Jordan Tansey and apologised to Bradford for his mistake.

The decision caused a storm, with Bradford coach Steve McNamara claiming afterwards that his side had been 'cheated' of victory and chairman Peter Hood has called for the result to be reversed.

In a statement, Hood said: "I want to take this opportunity to publicly place on record my sincere appreciation to Leeds Rhinos chief executive Gary Hetherington for his kind words of consolation in the immediate aftermath of the game and for his honesty in recognising the injustice.

"I also thank the Leeds head coach Tony Smith for his honest comments reported in the media.

"The Leeds Rhinos club is justifiably a proud club, with a great tradition, and a club which above all values its reputation for right and fair-dealing in everything it does.

"For these reasons I shall be inviting the Leeds Rhinos to do the right thing again now, for the benefit of their own reputation certainly, but also for the good of the great game of rugby league, to voluntarily hand over to Bradford Bulls what is, as the whole game now acknowledges, rightfully ours - the two points so cruelly taken from us by Mr Ganson's failure to act."

Slow-motion replays indicated that Tansey was clearly offside as he chased captain Kevin Sinfield's penalty kick at goal which rebounded off a post.

Ganson had earlier called on Klein eight times to rule on the legitimacy of tries and Bradford players were incensed when he gave Tansey's try right on the hooter.

The referee declined to comment after the match, but has since owned up to his error of judgement.

"After reviewing the video footage from the game it is clear that I made the wrong decision in awarding Jordan Tansey's try," he said. "In hindsight, I wish I had referred the decision to the video referee.

"At the time, my focus was on ensuring that the Bradford Bulls players were not putting off the kicker, rather than ensuring all the Leeds Rhinos players were onside.

"I didn't refer the decision to the video referee as both touch judges, who were stood behind the posts awaiting the conversion, had a good view of the grounding and I didn't feel the need to check for offside as it's very rare that players from the attacking side are in front of the kicker.

"However, the video footage shows that I was wrong not to do so as a number of Leeds players were offside.

"I would now like to offer an unreserved apology to all those concerned, especially the players, officials and supporters of the Bradford Bulls."

However, Ganson's apology has done little to stem Bradford's anger, and Hood said: "Whilst Mr Ganson's apology is fine as far as it goes, and gratefully acknowledged, sadly he omits any mention of why the `penalty' was awarded in the first place and importantly - by whom?

"As has been widely reported in today's newspapers, there was no infringement by a Bradford player - this is clearly confirmed by the video evidence.

"Sadly, there is no mention either of what role, if any, video referee Ashley Klein played in `assisting' Mr Ganson not to go to the screen.

"Later in the week, therefore, we shall be demanding an answer to these and maybe other questions - such as the no small matter of Mr Klein's other contributions to the outcome of game - from RFL match officials director Stuart Cummings."
Like thats ever going to happen!! It isnt Leeds' fault is it? and it wont matter anyway will it? the only thing that will matter is the play-off positions at end of season if Bradford are within 2 points (and a place) behind Leeds... even then it was a mistake and wasnt leeds' fault.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
mike binder

Re: Bradford want Leeds defeat...

Post by mike binder »

yes totally agree ,allways told play to the refs whistle leeds did ,and got away with it they havent cheated any 1, the ref as .So why should they be punished the punishment should be dished out to the guilty party ie ganson but dont hold your breath
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
Eaststander

Re: Bradford want Leeds de...

Post by Eaststander »

Having just read the RFL statement about it they have drawn a line under the whole thing and say that officals are *only human* and mistakes will happen.
They also said Ganson is well respected over the world of RL. Really?
I knew they would just bury their heads in the sand it was inevitable.
bet Ganson gets the Wigan Leeds game on Sat and clown the video ref. God help us
:conf:
WIGAN TILL I DIE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Have we got Ganson this weekend? Leeds fans will be cheering, we'll be cursing even more so now.

It was a mistake yes and he is only human, it must have been weird at the moment he gave the try, knowbody knows what he was thinking, even himself? At least he had the guts to admit he made a mistake (backed by the rfl or not) and people have to get on with it.

Wigan didn't make too much of a fuss over Richards' 'try' against Wakefield last year when it was ruled out in the last minute - and we were rock-bottom!

These things happen

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
turf

Post by turf »

The CC appointments haven't been made out yet. Ganson will not do a Leeds Bradford game for a while.

He may not do a Leeds game for a while. The same goes for Bradford.

As I have said on another thread, I want Ben Thaler.

All right he is young and inexperienced but he did the Hull FC v Bradford game earlier in the season and did a fine job.
jodie clark

Post by jodie clark »

well respected by who may i ask ?
ok it wasnt leeds' fault but bradford deserved to win i was discusted with the way ganson handled it and i feel he shuld be punished he went to the video ref for every other decision wether they wre contravercial or not but that one he didnt he was apauling and to say he is full time the only difference in him is he is on more money than he was before.
on a more positive note i think that Ben Thaler will be a great ref ( better than steve "i got it wrong" Ganson anyway ) but i think he will do wel and i would like him to ref our next few games
always look on the bright side of life :D

what ever happens stick together !!!

simply the best,better than all the rest !!

!!! WE ARE THE WARRIORS !!!

R.I.P Mike Gregory A True legend xxxx
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Eaststander posted:
Having just read the RFL statement about it they have drawn a line under the whole thing and say that officals are *only human* and mistakes will happen.
They also said Ganson is well respected over the world of RL. Really?
I knew they would just bury their heads in the sand it was inevitable.
bet Ganson gets the Wigan Leeds game on Sat and clown the video ref. God help us
:conf:
Ganson wasn't allowed to speak at the press conference after the game. Cummings let things cool down and then issued a lame apology and no further action.

If players are accountable to the disciplinary for their actions then surely the refs must also be accountable? Ganson should be demoted for a couple of months at the very least.

If he is one of the best refs that the RFL can offer then the game is bigger trouble than we thought
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

and for those of you deeply concerned... the RFL have basically said 'stfu!'

(skysports.com)
[/i]BULLS TOLD: RESULT STANDS
Tuesday 8th May 2007

The Rugby Football League have refused to consider reversing the result of Sunday's Millennium Magic clash between Bradford and Leeds.
Referee Steve Ganson has admitted that he wrongly awarded a match-winning try on the final hooter to Rhinos substitute Jordan Tansey.

Television replays showed that Tansey was clearly offside as he chased captain Kevin Sinfield's penalty kick at goal which rebounded off a post. Ganson subsequently admitted he should have consulted video referee Ashley Klein.

But an RFL spokesperson said: "In our operational rules, it states a club shall not be entitled to object to a result on the grounds of a match official's decision."

But Bradford coach Steve McNamara will not face a disrepute charge for his post-match comments - due to the exceptional circumstances of the Bulls' defeat.

McNamara claimed in the post-match press conference that Ganson "invented the penalty" and that his side were cheated out of victory.

"Due to the unique set of circumstances we are not planning to take any action regarding Steve McNamara's after-match comments," the RFL spokesperson added.

But Bradford hooker Terry Newton must go before the League's disciplinary committee on Wednesday after being charged with striking.

The Great Britain international was put on report by Ganson in the 12th minute for an alleged high tackle on Leeds front-rower Jamie Thackray and the League's video review panel has decided he does have a case to answer.

A suspension would rule Newton out of Sunday's Challenge Cup fifth round tie at Wakefield[/i]

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame