Harlequinns

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
OAMJSONA

Harlequinns

Post by OAMJSONA »

This is a thread i have been thinking of posting for some time so here goes:

What do you all think about the Quinns being in super league. They are only in it really beacuse they are in the capital, but if we are all honest our great game is a Northern game.

I agree the ameatur game as spread wider afield especially with the summer conferences and the like

I cannot ever see a time when the Southerners will take our great game to there hearts.

sensible and abjective responses please
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

the grinch

Re: Harlequinns

Post by the grinch »

i think due to the fact football is out pricing fans they may take a look at rugby. now if there is no rugby league to watch they will go to union so its important to have the team there.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

but i remeber when they where Fulham in the 70s they had more support then

there as not been an increase in there support in over 30 years

how long do they need to build a solid fan base

i personally say they will never have one

OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

Quinns are only there for show

thats all the RFL want

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

OAM posted:
but i remeber when they where Fulham in the 70s they had more support then

there as not been an increase in there support in over 30 years
how long do they need to build a solid fan base

i personally say they will never have one
This is the fact that is most difficult to get around. They've got a great ground in a very accessible part of London. They've got a go-ahead management and one of the best teams they've had in years.

But their lack of ability to pull even decent-sized crowds in must be worrying them by now. I don't know how much cash they spend on that team, but surely it's money down the drain at present?

If we'd set up a team in Lancaster or Preston 30 years ago, and it was still playing to crowds like they get in London, I reckon we'd be ready to write it off by now.

I hope things work out for them, but the lack of local interest is pretty horrific.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

50 per cent of viewers who watch Rugby League on Sky Sports live in the South of England.
That could suggest that there are rugby league fans outside of the north but they are just not going to the games. Either they aren't interested in Harlequins, there isn't a Super League team close enough to them or it could be due to me demanding that pubs show Wigan matches on Sky when I'm traveling.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Rugby League is no longer a Northern sport. I'd love to follow a sport that has teams as far north as Newcastle and even a Cornish team but it wont happen. Harlequins do not have enough fans no... what did they have against Wakefield earlier in the season? around 3,000?

As for being a cheaper option to football in the capital... that is obviously true. But change the question... is it cheaper to follow Harlequins or Wigan? It is (I believe) £20 for an adult when we go down next month... £6 more than our South Stand... even £2.50* higher than Huddersfield! I am not a fan of London inflation. Why do the rugby team need to raise prices? They know the salary cap, how much they spend and roughly how much they can bring to the club to support the cap/expenditure. £20 a ticket is not an excuse for London inflation on pricing. If Harlequins are serious they need to get over this fascination that Rugby Union fans will watch both codes... thats bollocks.. it happened once in the double header in 2oo6 when they were at home to Warrington - a game played after the Union game with 12,000+ supporters and it hasnt happened since. They will always struggle to get support even since London Crusader/ Broncos days. Their only big days are Wigan, St Helens, Wolves and Bradford who bring decent support to boost attendances past 5,000.

At least for the other clubs (except for salford and wakefield) every match is a big pay day no matter who we play (wigan 15,000 v hull kr eg)

It is a good idea to expand into the capital as it is still a growth area, at least 20 years (or franchise) away from proper growth. At least Catalans have done it on their own more so than Quins... they have superb attendances, even more than Quins fans at Cardiff.

Quins need to lower gate admissions
Bring in more local rugby players
promote the game farther than just using 'union'
Pump money into clubs like London Skolars as a feeder (eg)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Bear

Post by Bear »

It shouldnt be what do we think of quins, What about Catalans.
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

This is what Catalans are about (without the rain):

https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

ancientnloyal posted:
This is what Catalans are about (without the rain):

i had 3 of them flags in the boot of my car last week :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME