We need a team in Cumbria

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Re: We need a team in Cumb...

Post by cpwigan »

Rob you have lived up there I think. What would happen if they had a Cumbrian SL team say based near but not in the Maryport/Workington/Whitehaven area BUT still retained their professional clubs as well. Acting as feeder clubs and as you say an outlet for the players who want to remain semi pro. I presume many still work for BNFL
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

base the team in the Cumbrian riviera

Egremont
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Rob you have lived up there I think. What would happen if they had a Cumbrian SL team say based near but not in the Maryport/Workington/Whitehaven area BUT still retained their professional clubs as well. Acting as feeder clubs and as you say an outlet for the players who want to remain semi pro. I presume many still work for BNFL
Yeah, I lived in Whitehaven for 18 months.

I can't see how it would work to be honest. The local sides (e.g. Wath Brow) feed the likes of 'Haven and Town, then these players get boot money whilst working in well paid jobs (a lot for BNG). They get well paid during and after their RL career is over and get paid for doing what they love. Would you give that up?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Obviously not Rob. There must be some players and combined with overseas/non Cumbrian players. Are the good jobs not in decline now?