Willie Mason on the state of Rugby League

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Willie Mason on the state of Rugby League

Post by cpwigan »

The other big issue is the general standard of the game. From a fan's point of view, it has dropped because it's so defence-oriented. A lot of fans tell me they don't like the lack of attacking play and that games can be boring as a result.

Teams are concentrating on their defence and that's taking attacking players out of the game. Not too many teams slide in defence. Everyone comes up and in, and it's taking the flair away. The genuine attackers, the centres, aren't getting quality ball one-on-one as they used to. It's so hard to break the line.

It's all about the wrestle. If you're forcing five-second play-the-balls, you have time to let your defensive line set. No matter how good an attacker you are, it's going to take a really good play to break the line. If there's a dominant tackle, they get to lie all over you.

If you don't dominate the ruck you lose the game. That's why every team has a wrestling coach. We need to look at the play-the-balls, because everyone is playing within themselves and not throwing the ball around as much as they used to. It's OK for the forwards but I bet the outside backs are frustrated.

There's also not as many big hitters any more because it's all about wrestling and what you do on the ground. Our pack, when we're all playing well, want to play that confrontational game. But teams such as Wests Tigers - a team that is well coached and plays smart - won't take you on and let you play that type of game.
cpwigan

Re: Willie Mason on the state ...

Post by cpwigan »

:conf: One thing I cannot fathom is why so many SL teams still use a sliding defence including Wigan. If you have a big pack of forwards and slow backs, the optimum defensive system is up and in to force your opponents to turn back and run up the middle where they get bashed by your big blokes.

BTW - Big Willie talks a lot of sense