NRL... Michael Crockett sending off...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

Re: NRL... Michael Crocket...

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz posted:
Matthew posted:
DaveO posted:
I would be shocked for a ref in this country to rely on his touch judges that much. I get the impression the refs over here see what goes on in the game their sole responsibility
Could it be that certain refs like to be the centre of attention?
I never understand it when people say that... they only say it when they think the referee is having a bad game, so why would the referee intentionally have a bad game? He'd get demoted for doing it week in week out :doz:
No, Rob, they say it, for example, when lots of pedantic technical penalties are given, as was happening as recently as last season and early this season. Until recently, for example, incorrect PTB's were "flavour of the month", yet we rarely see one penalised now in SL (and they are just as prevalent!).
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN posted:
No, Rob, they say it, for example, when lots of pedantic technical penalties are given, as was happening as recently as last season and early this season. Until recently, for example, incorrect PTB's were "flavour of the month", yet we rarely see one penalised now in SL (and they are just as prevalent!).
People were accusing Ganson of wanting to be centre of attention at Cardiff just last month, I hardly think he wanted to be though.

'Pedantic penalties,' as people like to call them, very often come when players ignore advice given by the referee or when the offence is repeated. If a referee penalised for silly little things game in game out without being able to justify his action (e.g. ignored warning) he'd be dropped.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Rob people who want to be the centre of attention will make a mistake and still not seek privacy. Graham Poll in football and Steve Ganson in rugby league. Where was Ganson after the Cardiff debacle? In the hotel bar and holding court with RL journalists.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Where was Ganson after the Cardiff debacle? In the hotel bar and holding court with RL journalists.
Exactly, not out on the town.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Where does a referee get the most limelight? Booking into the hotel that all the RL community were based in or out on the town. Moreover, his safety would have been a problem elsewhere. A normal person would have realised he had made an error and kept to themselves. They may have even headed for a very early check out.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Where does a referee get the most limelight? Booking into the hotel that all the RL community were based in or out on the town. Moreover, his safety would have been a problem elsewhere. A normal person would have realised he had made an error and kept to themselves. They may have even headed for a very early check out.
He was in the hotel... I think that's acceptable. Out on the town getting leathered and I think you'd be just about able to have a go at him. Be fair.