NRL... Michael Crockett sending off...

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
robjoenz

NRL... Michael Crockett sending off...

Post by robjoenz »

Did anyone see the NZ Warriors game against Canterbury Bulldogs?

What did people think of the decision in the first 5 minutes to send off Michael Crockett for a high tackle on the Bulldogs' winger?
cpwigan

Re: NRL... Michael Crockett se...

Post by cpwigan »

Not seen it yet. What do you think Rob?

Crocker is someone who many Australian RL pundits argue gets treated harshly based upon reputation. He was frequently names alongside Adrian Morley as someone who was never given any leeway. Whether that relates to this incident I cannot say.
robjoenz

Re: NRL... Michael Crocket...

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Not seen it yet. What do you think Rob?

Crocker is someone who many Australian RL pundits argue gets treated harshly based upon reputation. He was frequently names alongside Adrian Morley as someone who was never given any leeway. Whether that relates to this incident I cannot say.
Are you getting him confused with Jason Crocker?

He made initial contact with the players head, the replay showed that. The TJ gave his report to the same effect, the referee said 'you're going' and off he walked. Crockett looked a bit shocked but he didn't argue.

I was putting myself in the shoes of the TJ, it was a massive call to make in the first 3 minutes of a game because it had the potential to a massive impact on the game. In SL I very much doubt he'd have been sent off because of the element of doubt of whether it was intentional. I think you'll be happy to see such decisive officiating though!

I think they got it right but at the speed at which is happened it's a massive decision to make! Credit to them!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:blush: Confused. Thinking of Crocker from Melbourne
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
I think they got it right but at the speed at which is happened it's a massive decision to make! Credit to them!
That is the key point though. If there was any doubt I don't think we would appreciate decisive officials who get it wrong when a sending off is involved.

I would be shocked for a ref in this country to rely on his touch judges that much. I get the impression the refs over here see what goes on in the game their sole responsibility and so would simply place an incident like that on report and awarda penalty.

What they don't see themselves they don't rule on seems to be the order of the day.

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

DaveO posted:
robjoenz posted:
That is the key point though. If there was any doubt I don't think we would appreciate decisive officials who get it wrong when a sending off is involved.
Perhaps I should have worded that... 'in my opinion they got it right...'

I think that is how SL officials play it, if there is any doubt of intentional wrong doing they go with report instead of a red card. Same goes for forward passes, unless there's 100% certainty they don't pull back a side for it.
I would be shocked for a ref in this country to rely on his touch judges that much. I get the impression the refs over here see what goes on in the game their sole responsibility and so would simply place an incident like that on report and awarda penalty.

What they don't see themselves they don't rule on seems to be the order of the day.
They act on what TJs tell them over the communication system. They do, however, take most of the responsibility themselves, if they think nothing was wrong with an incident they don't take the TJs advice. Afterall, it is the referee who is in control.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:

They act on what TJs tell them over the communication system. They do, however, take most of the responsibility themselves, if they think nothing was wrong with an incident they don't take the TJs advice. Afterall, it is the referee who is in control.
Now that really is an interesting paragraph.

If they didn't see an incident does that equate to them thinking nothing was wrong?

One of the things that angers fans the most in the UK I would say is the fact the touch judges are considered ineffectual. It often appears sat on the sidelines that the touch judge can't fail to have seen some incident or other but the ref does nothing about it despite being in touch with the touch judges.

If this is because the ref feels they must see everything to rule on it we are missing a trick compared to the Aussies.

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

DaveO posted:
If they (the referee) didn't see an incident does that equate to them thinking nothing was wrong?
No... I don't mean it like that. I mean an incident where the referee and TJ both see something but from different angles for instance, for example, a knock-on in the middle of the field. In one game I was certain that a knock-on had taken place but was over-ruled by the referee because the ball hit the players foot and bounced back up into his hands. I reported it but he had the better view.

A referee will use the TJ when he is unsighted or when the TJ has a much better angle. For example, if a referee is chasing play and there is a high tackle on the wing the TJ will be able to give a better report.
One of the things that angers fans the most in the UK I would say is the fact the touch judges are considered ineffectual. It often appears sat on the sidelines that the touch judge can't fail to have seen some incident or other but the ref does nothing about it despite being in touch with the touch judges.
My opinion is that they are there to assist the referee should he need them. If the referee doesn't need their assistance he should rely on his own judgement. The referee will know when the TJ has a better view, a give away in SL is that the TJ only follows the ruck when it's within 20 m of his line.

In some instances, following a high tackle for example, it is more advantagous for the ball carrying side to play-on. If they have gained attacking momentum this can be spoilt to bring it back for a penalty. This is up to the referee to decide.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DaveO posted:
I would be shocked for a ref in this country to rely on his touch judges that much. I get the impression the refs over here see what goes on in the game their sole responsibility
Could it be that certain refs like to be the centre of attention?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Matthew posted:
DaveO posted:
I would be shocked for a ref in this country to rely on his touch judges that much. I get the impression the refs over here see what goes on in the game their sole responsibility
Could it be that certain refs like to be the centre of attention?
I never understand it when people say that... they only say it when they think the referee is having a bad game, so why would the referee intentionally have a bad game? He'd get demoted for doing it week in week out :doz: