Stains sign ANOTHER NRL player

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
standishwarrior

Re: Stains sign ANOTHER NR...

Post by standishwarrior »

cpwigan posted:
:conf: Does the salary cap only apply to Wigan

Saints have no money. They sign Flannery, a decent player. Hooper was ion a low contract. They nearly got rid of him before he retired. They must be paying their youngsters more too as they mature.

Hull sign 2 players from the NRL and neither comes cheap.
i was talking to some1 who know's shaun long very well a brother some might say and he told me apart from sculthorpe every at saints are on a similar wage and they make the rest of there wages up in win bonus's! maybe thats how they get away it!
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

do bonus's not count under the salary cap then?
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

fitzy posted:
do bonus's not count under the salary cap then?
Yes, they do indeed.
standishwarrior

iv no idea!! me and a lad from work were having a chat about payments/bonus's being made to the players during the challenge cup does that not count on the salery cap??
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

so if bonus's do count then where back to square one how do they keep them under the salary cap?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bonuses are part and parcel of the cap. The way I see it is this. Sculthorpe we know is on £250,000; Long, Wellens, Cunningham, Cayless are all on excellent money. Gilmour, Wilkin, Roby, Graham, Gidley, Meli, Gardener, Talau, Fasavalu, Hooper, Fozzard and Bennett are all on very good money. I believe those players equate to virtually 90% of the Saints cap. Why? Hargreaves was signed because they got him cheap and he was all they could afford.

Since then. Saints have lost Hooper BUT had to re sign several youngsters on better contracts. Now IMO, that leaves little leeway for Flannery who is a decent money earner.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Let's say

Long, Wellens, Cunningham, Cayless = £125,000 each

Gilmour, Wilkin, Roby, Graham, Gidley, Meli, Gardener, Talau, Fasavalu, Hooper, Fozzard and Bennett = £80,000 each

NOT MUCH MONEY LEFT
standishwarrior

maybe they are paying him the same as hooper then come the end of season may release afew players and offer flannery an improved deal
standishwarrior

cp..what about bonus's paid during the challenge cup?thats a different comp so do they not count on the cap?
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

good point standish warrior and if bonus's do not count in the cup then that could be a simple way round it