GBv France 2 nite

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
GeoffN

Re: GBv France 2 nite

Post by GeoffN »

Likely_Lad posted:

I was also impressed by Coley, he's huge, runs hard and tackles hard.
I thought he was our least effective forward.

I more or less agree with the ratings on the "Sporting Life" Site:

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... tings.html

I'd have rated Melling higher, and Roby lower, but otherwise about right, I'd say.
cpwigan

Re: GB v France 2 nite

Post by cpwigan »

Only just watched the game. I thought it was an easy game to referee Rob. The poor French were exhausted. One mystifying point and it may be a quirk of the rules. France went for a drop goal and we caught it in our in goal. Ganson signalled a tap 20 for a defused bomb. Is that technically correct? because if it is the law is an ass. A drop goal is not a bomb it should be play on IMO. I thought the touchie got it wrong when a French player kicked the ball but was in touch. Ganson awarded a tap 20 BUT that was the touchies fault.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I like Chris Melling as a person as a professional. As a GB player, the honour was undeserved and far far too early. One big worry with Chris is for whatever reason he makes a huge ricket every so often in big games handling a kick. He juggled one v France. I actually thought he played his best rugby for Wigan U21s as a hooker. Platt should have got the fullback nod IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:conf: The game worried me. Until they tired. The French were very competitive and able to stretch our defence. We never controlled the game in the first half. I thought our set up in taking the ball up for hard yards was too simplistic.

Selections wise Smith gave me nightmares. Firstly Melling as I mentioned previously. Wild at CENTRE :angry: and LEFT CENTRE when he is right sided. Sykes was poor too. Mystified at team balance unless Smith only wants to attack on one side of the pitch. Burrows/McGuire are very left sided. So it makes sense to pick a right sided loose forward. Wilkin is hugely left sided. Wild or Lockers are both right sided. So it should have been 1 of those at LF. He also needs a very right sided second rower if he goes with Hock on the left.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Oh and Rob can you ask that wonderful, glamorous, supererlative Linzi re scanning the programme for me :lol: I will wear a Rob for GF referee T Shirt :wink:
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Only just watched the game. I thought it was an easy game to referee Rob. The poor French were exhausted. One mystifying point and it may be a quirk of the rules. France went for a drop goal and we caught it in our in goal. Ganson signalled a tap 20 for a defused bomb. Is that technically correct? because if it is the law is an ass. A drop goal is not a bomb it should be play on IMO.
Had a French player run onto the ball and scored a try should it have been disallowed because a drop goal attempt is not a bomb???
I thought the touchie got it wrong when a French player kicked the ball but was in touch. Ganson awarded a tap 20 BUT that was the touchies fault.
I wasn't entirely sure on this one... in real time I thought he put his foot on the line, from pausing and replaying I can't actually tell if he did touch the line or whether he kicked the ball just above the line.

Another thought was that the TJ wasn't entirely sure and thought that France may have scored a try so left it for the video referee. However, in this case they didn't score so he can't retrospectively put his flag up.
Oh and Rob can you ask that wonderful, glamorous, supererlative Linzi re scanning the programme for me I will wear a Rob for GF referee T Shirt
She said she'll do if later for you.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Yes, you can turn a drop goal attempt into a try just as you can a penalty kick. Am I right Rob, that if a penalty kick misses and you catch it in goal you have to run it out otherwise if you get caught ingoal it will be a drop out? Always wary re such incidents as the rules are more quirky than we ordinary fans realise.

The touchie one is an interesting one Rob. Several NRL commentators believe what you are saying is an anomaly of the video referee system. Namely, the opposition have to score for you to subsequently get the correct call. So if the official is unsure and hesitates, you may lose out if play does not result in a try. Hope that makes sense?

Thankyou Rob and Linzi. My email add is centralparkwigan@hotmail.com
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

cpwigan posted:
Yes, you can turn a drop goal attempt into a try just as you can a penalty kick. Am I right Rob, that if a penalty kick misses and you catch it in goal you have to run it out otherwise if you get caught ingoal it will be a drop out? Always wary re such incidents as the rules are more quirky than we ordinary fans realise.
So if you can turn a missed drop-goal into a try from a kick from open-play why shouldn't be able to diffuse a kick from open-play that happens to be a drop goal attempt? A penalty is slightly different as it is a place kick.
The touchie one is an interesting one Rob. Several NRL commentators believe what you are saying is an anomaly of the video referee system. Namely, the opposition have to score for you to subsequently get the correct call. So if the official is unsure and hesitates, you may lose out if play does not result in a try. Hope that makes sense?
I agree, it is a potential anomoly. When the video referee isn't there a TJ will go with his instinct. If a try is scored as a result of the TJ not giving signalling the TJ can cover himself with the VR. Like you say though, if there's no try you've given a different decision than you would in a different game.

This assumes that Stuart Marshall was actually thinking like we were. He may well have seen that the winger had his foot above the line.
Thankyou Rob and Linzi. My email add is centralparkwigan@hotmail.com
She's going to do it for you now, apologies for the delay we've been watching the NRL from Friday.