NO MORE SMOKING AT GROUNDS

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
trotski_tgwu

Re: NO MORE SMOKING AT GRO...

Post by trotski_tgwu »

Hope this might help to clarify things the smoking ban applies to all work places and as such i believe all stadiums will come under this ban. Unless someone knows better & remember we have had the smoking ban for over a year up here in Scotland

Workers of the World Unite.
You have nothing to loose but your Chains.
Karl Marx

- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

passive smoking, yes. which is why i don't respect or like smoking. people who do it, for me are selfish as they are puffing a tube of tar, to their heart's content, when it is affectign other people around them. and it annyos me because i think that's selfish.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

turf posted:
Isn't it true that even if you don't smoke, if you are with someone that does, it can affect you as badly as if you were smoking yourself?
Yes: read below for details on |Pssive Smoking courtesy of stopsmokingtoday.com
Any person exposed to passive smoking may experience short-term symptoms such as a headache, a cough, wheezing, an eye irritation, a sore throat, nausea or dizziness. Adults with asthma may also experience a significant decline in lung function when exposed to secondhand smoke. Under these conditions it can take as little as half an hour for an individual's coronary blood flow to become reduced.

It was estimated that prolonged exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke, such as in the home, increases the risk of lung cancer by approximately 20 to 25%. Even if you do not accept the accuracy of these percentages, it is well established that you have an increased chance of developing lung cancer through passive smoking if you are a non-smoker but live with someone who smokes. The chances of suffering from ischaemic heart disease is greater for those exposed to passive smoking compared to those who are not. Studies have shown that the risk of experiencing a heart attack is believed to be almost doubled by regular exposure to secondhand smoke.

Some of the most serious damage inflicted by passive smoking is done to children during their formative years. As you would expect, a child's bronchial tubes are smaller and their immune systems are less developed making them more susceptible to the harmful effects of passive smoking. Because their airways are smaller, children breathe faster than adults and, consequently, they actually breathe in comparatively more of the harmful chemicals in the smoke, based on their body weight, than adults do. Few parents who smoke would continue to do so if they knew the potential harm that they were doing to their children. Young children, by necessity, spend a lot of time at home and maternal smoking is one of the major sources of passive smoking because of the child's close proximity to their parents during early childhood.

Exposure to tobacco smoke can double the chances of your child requiring hospitalisation for illnesses like bronchitis, bronchiolitis, and pneumonia that affect the lower respiratory tract, especially during the first year of life. They are also more likely to suffer from ear infections (glue ear), tonsillitis, and asthma. Passive smoking is known to be one of the main contributing factors in the development of childhood asthma. It can exacerbate existing asthma, increasing both the frequency of the attack and its severity. Secondhand tobacco smoke may damage a child's olfactory function so that they have difficulty differentiating certain smells. There is also the chance that passive smoking may have a negative effect on a child's cognitive abilities, impairing their ability to read or use reasoning skills.

Just as a woman should not smoke during pregnancy, she should not be exposed to secondhand tobacco smoke. There are links between parental smoking and the incidence of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome or "cot death". It has been estimated that the infants of mothers who smoke are put at almost five times the risk of dying from "cot death" when compared to the infants of mothers who do not smoke. Yet a poll organised by 'SmokeFree London' discovered that only 3% of the adults surveyed knew of this connection between passive smoking and "cot death". Passive smoking is also a recognised factor in lowering the birth weight of babies.

Not only can passive smoking harm your foetus but it can also reduce the chances of you getting pregnant in the first place. Female fertility can suffer because of passive smoking, making it harder to conceive a child.

Passive smoking can even put your pets at risk of developing cancer. One US study observed that passive smoking increased the incidence of feline lymphoma in cats and the likelihood of them developing health complications increased the longer they were exposed to passive smoking.

To continue to smoke and put the health of your family and loved-ones at risk would seem, on the face of it, to be a rather selfish act. When you take into account the damage that smoking is doing to your own body then it seems more like insanity. Think of how traumatic it would be if a member of your family became ill or died because of your smoking habit. Now consider the fact that they would feel exactly the same way if smoking ended your life prematurely or made you seriously ill. You may find yourself asking "Why do I still smoke?"
ImageImage
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
the big i

Post by the big i »

Who actually thinks this ban will be enforced though, I think a few might turn a blind eye to it.
turf

Post by turf »

Spot on Nobby's Girl and psycho.
the big i

Post by the big i »

I dont mind the fact that people smoke its when they put it right under your nose that gets to me
turf

Post by turf »

I also share you view as well the big i.
pedro

Post by pedro »

only enclosed areas at work are under the legislation too. So if you have a roof like some stadiums it is classed as enclosed.

I guess Belle Vue would be ok as its mainly in the open...however the JJB has been smoke free for nearly 2 years and the stewards never tell anyone.
the big i

Post by the big i »

I can safely say that people ignored the smoking ban at belle vue :exc:
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

i asked a stewerd if i can smoke and she says yes as its open air as i was stood behind posts. stands will be different tho.
IN WANE WE TRUST