RL coverage on Sky

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Antwigan

Re: RL coverage on Sky

Post by Antwigan »

The NRL footy show makes even match of the day and the queens speech look amateurish i'm afraid. It's the funniest thing on TV (internet actually for me!!) They had the aussie prime minister on who snubbed George Bushs' arrival to be at the Dally M rugby league awards last week. He said (John Howard) "He had to get his priorities right" and he actually did the 'That's gold' sign and said he was going to get George Bush to do it at the next photocall when they met next day. It's the most watched non-live sports show in Australia. Get it people.....you won't regret it. In fact type in 'footy show vomitron' into youtube and watch fatty and the chief almost die at the hands of mathew Johns. Hilarious's. Or 'Reggie & Ricky Bobby - Sydney Nights' with will Ferrell out running the aussie cops....ha ha ha or the johnny knoxville one too....
Campions of the rugby world.
botica

Post by botica »

Its better than the BBC!! I just laugh at the clowns who present it. Just cannot justify paying even more for TV. Sky subsription plus Satanta. My family watch lots on other sky channel, not in a cable area so i'm stuffed. Free view don't have MTV, Disney, Sky 1... :(
"Not only did they beat St Helens in the Grand Final, they did it with style" Mike Stephenson 2nd Oct 2010
sheepdip

Post by sheepdip »

Having recently subscribed to Setanta Sports I really enjoy the coverage from Australia. Those morons on sky sports should be fired off, especially that wire cow and that idiot Stevo. Paying through the nose just to watch Rugby league and cricket (the only sports I watch on Sky) in order to supplement the premier league is getting to me. Lets hope Setanta Sports get the next contract. Its a bit of an issue for me at present I'm afraid.
"A STRONG LEEDS IS GOOD FOR THE GAME" (Gratian, H 2006)
Southern_Warrior

Post by Southern_Warrior »

I had the misfortune of catching the footy show when I was in OZ. It will never be shown over here in its current format as we have rules governing what can be broadcast on TV. By the time they cut out everything thats homophobic, racist and sexist etc they wouldn't be much left to show.

Saying that comparing it to what I remember about their news programmes the footy show could be deemed as quite tame!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

BriH posted:
I am the only one who thinks Sky's coverage of Super League is awful? Because I cannot travel to the JJB, I am forced to watch Sky. Friday's game against Saints was fantastic but The Dynamic Duo still prattle on, during the game, about things outside the live game! It is so annoying that sometimes I actually turn off the sound until they shut up! Or, I turn the volume up so loud that the noise of the crowd drowns them out - I wish!
If ever a pair were past sell-by-date it's those two. Making a very easy living by being dreadful commentators. Before Sky left the NRL coverage it was a joy to listen to guys who actually covered the match.
Three games a week, about 10 cameras on the game, a production crew that know exactly what angle to use and when, a weekly magazine programme, a big screen if you're lucky enough to attend a live SL sky game, an opportunity to bring the game to wider audiences, commentators that have a real passion for the game (though some of their opinions, especially on rules, differ to mine).

I often get non-RL friends and work colleagues telling me they watched some of the SL games on sky. They sometimes laugh about something Stevo says too, but who cares, they've watched it and they're likely to watch it again.

The NRL is exactly the same, you've got a sensible one and you've got Phil Gould... he's Stevo with an Australian accent... have you heard some of the nonsense he comes out with?

Did you see the NL1 game last night? Was it Bill Arthur commentating? I don't think he's a poor commentator but he doesn't have the same excitement in his voice that Stevo does. If I'm doing something else whilst watching the game I'll be drawn to the TV more with Stevo commentating because I want to see what he's getting all excited about. Isn't this good for those potential future RL fans... keeping them drawn into the excitement rather than letting them concentrate on something else and totally ignoring the TV?
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Sky is brilliant, people seem to forget what it was like before Sky got RL. The camera angles have improved massively and unlike the BBC they don't cut to a picture of one of the coaches while a try is being scored. I personally think the level of commentary and the excitement Eddie and Stevo put into the game is fantastic. Ray 'semi-scouse' French and Dave 'Square in the air' Woods are monotonous and boring. I actually think Stevo's lack of knowledge of the rules and his refusal to change his opinion despite compounding evidence condradicting his viewpoint, is quite amusing rather than annoying. As for Stevo's supposed 'face like thunder' after last weeks game, you obviously watched a different programme to myself. Take your Wigan specs off fellas/ladies, accusing Stevo of bias - pot calling kettle springs to mind.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

gpartin posted:
As for Stevo's supposed 'face like thunder' after last weeks game, you obviously watched a different programme to myself. Take your Wigan specs off fellas/ladies, accusing Stevo of bias - pot calling kettle springs to mind.
:eusa2: