standard of refereeing

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
wigwan

standard of refereeing

Post by wigwan »

in my personal opinion the standard of refereeing hasnt improved since the appointment of full time referees, i think that everybody has had an opinion on here about the standard of refs. the person i personally blame for the sh*t that has been produced by the refs is Mr Cummings himself, how he ever qualified to be the head man i will never know, who does this man answer to thats wot i would like to know. if anyone else has an opinion weather im right or wrong i would like to know please.
turf

Re: standard of refereeing

Post by turf »

I think you are absolutely spot on!!! :eusa2: :eusa2:

I don't think there is a decent referee amongst them to be honest, it is just that some are better than others.

NL1 has a couple of decent referees i.e, Laughton, Leahy, people like that, so why not demote a couple of the SL referees for a couple of NL1 referees.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

wigwan wrote:in my personal opinion the standard of refereeing hasnt improved since the appointment of full time referees, i think that everybody has had an opinion on here about the standard of refs. the person i personally blame for the sh*t that has been produced by the refs is Mr Cummings himself, how he ever qualified to be the head man i will never know, who does this man answer to thats wot i would like to know. if anyone else has an opinion weather im right or wrong i would like to know please.
right cross

Post by right cross »

there he goes again. :lol1:
wigwan

Post by wigwan »

I never blamed the ref if u read it correctly, i said that the standard in my opinion hasnt improved since becoming professional and that the refereeing has been crap, but as u say thats not the reason we are loosing.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

in my personal opinion the standard of refereeing hasnt improved since the appointment of full time referees, i think that everybody has had an opinion on here about the standard of refs. the person i personally blame for the sh*t that has been produced by the refs is Mr Cummings himself, how he ever qualified to be the head man i will never know, who does this man answer to thats wot i would like to know. if anyone else has an opinion weather im right or wrong i would like to know please.
Yep like the weather refs, they blow hot and cold, or is that the whistle! Seriously though this is a snap decision and officials in all sports need to consult both their linesmen and come up with a suggested course of action.

Too many games are spoilt by rash quick decisions. To think sports like football bemoan the use of video technology, yet controversy is still rife there. But if people just take their time and decide rationally, we may not have spoilt games.

You may say we weren't good enough too, but that quick decision affected the morale of the team and good field position, hence the scores mounting against us.

Let's face it, it's a highly charged emotional derby and Klein should have factored that into his mind pre-game, do they pre-plan games? It doesn't seem to be the case. Yet these guys are somehow now, fulltime!!

Since the departure of Russell Smith, only Ian Smith has seemed to be fair (even when we lose!!) and with no real shockingly bad decisions. Yes we all make bad decisions and mistakes as human beings, but this is not the first time Klein has made bad decisions on TV and probably not his last, yet he is never demoted and Ian Smith is, you tell me the logic in that Mr. Cummings.

Are these guys performance levels monitored and is the word professional appropriate, as it seems to be as Amateur as it ever has been!

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

stevocod wrote: Yep like the weather refs, they blow hot and cold, or is that the whistle! Seriously though this is a snap decision and officials in all sports need to consult both their linesmen and come up with a suggested course of action.

Too many games are spoilt by rash quick decisions. To think sports like football bemoan the use of video technology, yet controversy is still rife there. But if people just take their time and decide rationally, we may not have spoilt games.

You may say we weren't good enough too, but that quick decision affected the morale of the team and good field position, hence the scores mounting against us.

Let's face it, it's a highly charged emotional derby and Klein should have factored that into his mind pre-game, do they pre-plan games? It doesn't seem to be the case. Yet these guys are somehow now, fulltime!!

Since the departure of Russell Smith, only Ian Smith has seemed to be fair (even when we lose!!) and with no real shockingly bad decisions. Yes we all make bad decisions and mistakes as human beings, but this is not the first time Klein has made bad decisions on TV and probably not his last, yet he is never demoted and Ian Smith is, you tell me the logic in that Mr. Cummings.

Are these guys performance levels monitored and is the word professional appropriate, as it seems to be as Amateur as it ever has been!
Rugby league is a fast sport and referees have to make decisions on the spot, not appropriate to go to the video referee for every decision, got to go with what's in front of them.

Naturally, referees get some decisions wrong, this frustrates people. A lot of decisions are 50-50 calls too... an attacker is looking to offload, the tackler is trying to lock the ball up, the ball comes loose, what's the decision? One set of fans think one thing, the rest think another - a decision has to to be made. One set of fans is left frustrated.

Out of interest... what sort of pre-game preparation do you think a referee should do? How do you think preparation for a big derby should be different to any other type of game? Should the approach to refereeing be any different once the game has started? If so, why?

If refereeing is getting worse, what can be done about it? I mean past the usual calls of 'sack Cummings.' What actually needs to be done to directly improve standards and consistency without detriment to the game?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

robjoenz wrote: Rugby league is a fast sport and referees have to make decisions on the spot, not appropriate to go to the video referee for every decision, got to go with what's in front of them.

Naturally, referees get some decisions wrong, this frustrates people. A lot of decisions are 50-50 calls too... an attacker is looking to offload, the tackler is trying to lock the ball up, the ball comes loose, what's the decision? One set of fans think one thing, the rest think another - a decision has to to be made. One set of fans is left frustrated.

Out of interest... what sort of pre-game preparation do you think a referee should do? How do you think preparation for a big derby should be different to any other type of game? Should the approach to refereeing be any different once the game has started? If so, why?

If refereeing is getting worse, what can be done about it? I mean past the usual calls of 'sack Cummings.' What actually needs to be done to directly improve standards and consistency without detriment to the game?
Try and get more ex-players involved in the officiating of the game. Hence they become "poachers turned gamekeepers"
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Try and get more ex-players involved in the officiating of the game. Hence they become poachers turned gamekeepers
I think the poachers realise how much hassle they and their friends gave the gamekeeper and hence don't want to give it a go. There is certain Jamie Bloem officiating now though!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

robjoenz wrote:
Try and get more ex-players involved in the officiating of the game. Hence they become poachers turned gamekeepers
I think the poachers realise how much hassle they and their friends gave the gamekeeper and hence don't want to give it a go. There is certain Jamie Bloem officiating now though!
Or more likely the SKY commentary money makes more rewarding recompense! :wink:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!