The Modern RL Professional

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Shaun1967

The Modern RL Professional

Post by Shaun1967 »

Very apt timing with the events of this week, but Mark Riddell discusses how he has had to curb his drinking to remain playing at the top.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1birg.html

Another thread relates to the lack of media attention we get, but as the Gleeson story unfolds you can guarantee we will get some coverage.
Just look at the Aussie headlines at the moment, Benji Marshall charged with assault. Sounds as if he was provoked, but his club may be asking what he was doing at MacDonalds at 3.20 in the morning just before the season starts.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1bjnz.html

Times have changed. The press and fans are waiting to pounce when a player slips up.
The modern game demands very serious lifestyle choices.
Would Gary Connolly have survived this era?

“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
GeoffN

Re: The Modern RL Professional

Post by GeoffN »

Shaun1967 wrote:Very apt timing with the events of this week, but Mark Riddell discusses how he has had to curb his drinking to remain playing at the top.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1birg.html

He certainly made up lost ground after the final, though, as did a lot of the lads!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

I love playing this game and if I had the opportunity to get paid an actual decent wage playing it then I wouldn't do anything to jeopardise that. I play at a decent amateur standard but I train and go about my lifestyle like a professional.

Too many young lads get to a certain stage in Rugby League and think they've made it, Rugby players they might be, professional they're not.
Up The Mont!
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

TonyH wrote:I love playing this game and if I had the opportunity to get paid an actual decent wage playing it then I wouldn't do anything to jeopardise that. I play at a decent amateur standard but I train and go about my lifestyle like a professional.

Too many young lads get to a certain stage in Rugby League and think they've made it, Rugby players they might be, professional they're not.
Agree 100% with Tony : (1)there's a massive difference between just being a professional & then being paid to do it, and (2)BEHAVING/ACTING professionally, with all the responsibilities that go with it, and being paid to do that!

Usually the young players that do make it follow (2) - too many others think because they are now being paid, they've reached the pinnacle, without fulfilling their early promise. These are the ones who normally fall by the wayside - read Kris Rad's book for confirmation of what he thinks.