lowering standards

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
wildbeast

lowering standards

Post by wildbeast »

Don't know about anyone else but I can't remember a side as ordinary as saints winning anything let alone the league.Just a very odd season -some excellent games but little consistancy from anyone. If Saints are the best then we are in trouble!
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: lowering standards

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

wildbeast wrote:Don't know about anyone else but I can't remember a side as ordinary as saints winning anything let alone the league.Just a very odd season -some excellent games but little consistancy from anyone. If Saints are the best then we are in trouble!
Again the LLS is classed as silverware and will always be, but if anyone thinks that winning the LLS actually means that they are the best team is living in cloud cuckoo land. It just means that Stains are that desperate to win a trophy they put more effort in to winning 2 points more consistently throughout the season than ourselves, Wire and Leeds did because in my opinion Stains are 4th best at best!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
wildbeast

Post by wildbeast »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
wildbeast wrote:Don't know about anyone else but I can't remember a side as ordinary as saints winning anything let alone the league.Just a very odd season -some excellent games but little consistancy from anyone. If Saints are the best then we are in trouble!
Again the LLS is classed as silverware and will always be, but if anyone thinks that winning the LLS actually means that they are the best team is living in cloud cuckoo land. It just means that Stains are that desperate to win a trophy they put more effort in to winning 2 points more consistently throughout the season than ourselves, Wire and Leeds did because in my opinion Stains are 4th best at best!!
Saints won because the rest were very average and inconsistent for a large part of the season. Difficult to coprehend how they could end on top after watching the wigan wire game -intensity and consistency is what we need from the competition-too many games played when teams just didn't look that interested.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Winning the LLS means squatt. I should be so much more than it is but sadly it is not and is one of the reasons why SL is mediocre in quality. IIRC, the last team to win the LLS and then the GF was Wigan under Maguire (2010) so the LLS Far more often than not does equate to the best in SL.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cpwigan wrote:Winning the LLS means squatt. I should be so much more than it is but sadly it is not and is one of the reasons why SL is mediocre in quality. IIRC, the last team to win the LLS and then the GF was Wigan under Maguire (2010) so the LLS Far more often than not does equate to the best in SL.
Which is exactly what I said on another forum, yes it's silverware and fair enough but it very rarely is the 'best' team that wins it, just look at Leeds!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Winning the LLS means squatt. I should be so much more than it is but sadly it is not and is one of the reasons why SL is mediocre in quality. IIRC, the last team to win the LLS and then the GF was Wigan under Maguire (2010) so the LLS Far more often than not does equate to the best in SL.
Maguire has gone, get used to it!

And there is nothing wrong with the playing of the game, just poor match officials, continual rule changes and poor marketing by the RFL and many of the clubs.

Better than the late/mid seventies when it was poor.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

And there is nothing wrong with the playing of the game, just poor match officials, continual rule changes and poor marketing by the RFL and many of the clubs.

And in the 80's and 90's it was better than it is now and by some distance. Which I think you know given you picked the 70's.

The fact Peacock is favourite for MoS says it all. The (likely) best player is 36 years old!

There isn't a player running around in the UK game as good as Hanley, Edwards, Gregory, G Schofield (in his prime) and J Davies and plenty more of that era.

The players these days may have the benefit of being in a full time league with sports science to help but even with that standard of basic skills is just poor in comparison.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:

And in the 80's and 90's it was better than it is now and by some distance. Which I think you know given you picked the 70's.

The fact Peacock is favourite for MoS says it all. The (likely) best player is 36 years old!

There isn't a player running around in the UK game as good as Hanley, Edwards, Gregory, G Schofield (in his prime) and J Davies and plenty more of that era.

The players these days may have the benefit of being in a full time league with sports science to help but even with that standard of basic skills is just poor in comparison.
#
Peacock is favourite because he is being pushed for the award by others in the game and the rugby media, not because of his playing this season but his service to the game.

If this is so, then it is time they scrapped the award!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:

:roll: You really are clueless. This thread was never about Madge. You seem to have limited comprehension skills. It was a statement of fact that 2010 was the last time the winner of the LLS won the SL GF hence winning the LLS does not generally equate to be ing the best club in SL.
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Whelley Warrior wrote: #
Peacock is favourite because he is being pushed for the award by others in the game and the rugby media, not because of his playing this season but his service to the game.

If this is so, then it is time they scrapped the award!
Sorry I must disagree, from what I've seen (and been told by a whino friend), Peacock has been immense in his desire and commitment to his team this year and dragged them through some games almost single handed. There are few props who put in more minutes than JP. If I remove my cherry and white glasses, I am hard pressed to think of anyone else who deserves MOS more, Hill maybe or Clark
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#