NRL GF

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Panchitta Marra

Re: NRL GF

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Got to be Wally Lewis for me.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

josie andrews wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Joey Johns and Lockyer were better IMO. However JT is fantastic.
I lost all respect for Andrew Johns when it was found he played almost his whole career high on drugs :angry:

Why was he never tested? How come all this was revealed when he was over here for Warrington?

Was it all covered up during his career?

Jonathan Thurston, Darren Lockyer & my all time favourite, Brad 'Freddy' Fittler, all the way for me :)
Not sure that is correct Josie re drugs. To my knowledge he had a soell where he experimented.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Joey Johns and Lockyer were better IMO. However JT is fantastic.
I lost all respect for Andrew Johns when it was found he played almost his whole career high on drugs :angry:

Why was he never tested? How come all this was revealed when he was over here for Warrington?

Was it all covered up during his career?

Jonathan Thurston, Darren Lockyer & my all time favourite, Brad 'Freddy' Fittler, all the way for me :)
Not sure that is correct Josie re drugs. To my knowledge he had a soell where he experimented.
He admitted it when he was eventually caught in London that he'd played most of his career high! He then admitted to having 'Bipolar disorder'.

I know it says he used it in the off season but I still think he 'must' have used it or other drugs whilst playing!

On 26 August 2007 Johns was arrested for fare evasion on the London Underground, and subsequently found to be in possession of one ecstasy tablet. He was cautioned and released with no further charges. Johns initially claimed that an unknown person had pushed the tablet into his pocket which he later forgot to remove before leaving the crowded venue.[24] This initial statement was met with a great deal of cynicism from both the press and the public. On 30 August, Johns revealed, live on the Footy Show, that he had regularly taken ecstasy throughout his playing career, mainly during the off-season. He claimed he had suffered from depression and bipolar disorder and the drugs helped him in dealing with the high level of psychological 'pressure' associated with his career as an elite sportsman.[25] Not long after the incident he released his 'tell-all' autobiography that went into further details regarding his depression and drug use while playing in the NRL.

The ARU released a press statement shortly after the controversy arose, stating that Johns' drug use was known to the ARU and was a key factor in its decision to not proceed with contractual negotiations in 2004. Brett Robinson, then high-performance unit manager, said that, as well as Johns' age and injury history, the knowledge of his drug taking had been influential in the ARU making its final decision.[11]

When Johns was named the Best Player of the Last 30 Years in early 2008, the accolade allayed concern that Johns' shock drug admission the year before had tarnished his remarkable efforts on the field for Newcastle, NSW and Australia. On receiving the award he was quoted as saying his health was now in great shape. "I'm at the best place I have been in a long time," he said. "It's not until you step away that I realise all the pressure I was under, I'm not going to miss playing at all."[citation needed]
Okay, I know it's from Wikipedia, but I remember at the time it was revealed how shocked I was :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

It is interesting that nobody has named an Englishman in their list of great half backs. For those of you old enough what about Alex Murphy?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Panchitta Marra

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:It is interesting that nobody has named an Englishman in their list of great half backs. For those of you old enough what about Alex Murphy?
Lewis, and Lockyer would possibly get in the all time greats team of all nations, Ellery hanley is probably the only British player who would. I couldn't see Murphy in that class and he hasn't proved it beyond the UK.
kitt green warriors

Post by kitt green warriors »

I booked my flight and ticket on Friday as soon as I got back from Suncorp. I'm flying down on Sunday morning landing in Sydney at 1.20pm then straight to ANZ for 2.30pm to 3pm, stay at ANZ until all the post match is over then heading back to the airport for a early morning Sunday flight back to Brissie. They have really bumped plane fares up now though. You can normally fly Brissie to Sydney return for $120 on Tigerair but I've paid $480 and they've put it up again. The match ticket was $150 in the corner higher up, still a good seat though. Gordie Tallis has been on the radio this morning complaining about the cockroaches making money off us Queenslander s because they know we'll be coming down to cockroach territory. Bring on Sunday now though. Up the Bronx.
I always knew that I liked this place, you don't have to look to far to find a friendly face, I feel alive when I'm walking on this street, I feel the heart of this city pounding underneath my feet, yeah if the world keeps spinning round and round this is were it all goes down,down,down, THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS TOWN!.
Bon Jovi "Lost Highway" 2007
shaunedwardsfanclub

Panchitta Marra wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:It is interesting that nobody has named an Englishman in their list of great half backs. For those of you old enough what about Alex Murphy?
Lewis, and Lockyer would possibly get in the all time greats team of all nations, Ellery hanley is probably the only British player who would. I couldn't see Murphy in that class and he hasn't proved it beyond the UK.
PM - He won the World Cup and Ashes with Great Britain, in fact by all accounts he terrified the Aussies. Billy Boston would walk into any team in any era.
Panchitta Marra

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:
PM - He won the World Cup and Ashes with Great Britain, in fact by all accounts he terrified the Aussies. Billy Boston would walk into any team in any era.
I know a number of years ago there was some remnants of a world team put together, albeit by the Aussies and hanley was the only Brit named.
No mention of Murphy or Billy.
Maybe Sam Burgess would be recognised by the southern Hemisphere mob.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Panchitta Marra wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote: Lewis, and Lockyer would possibly get in the all time greats team of all nations, Ellery hanley is probably the only British player who would. I couldn't see Murphy in that class and he hasn't proved it beyond the UK.
I know a number of years ago there was some remnants of a world team put together, albeit by the Aussies and hanley was the only Brit named.
No mention of Murphy or Billy.
Maybe Sam Burgess would be recognised by the southern Hemisphere mob.
I think that is because they only picked players who have played in the NRL. Billy is better than anything they have ever produced.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Murphy did on a tour to Australia when he outplayed Keith Holman who the Aussies rated very highly!