Re-Scheduling the Challenge Cup

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wiganer Ted

Re-Scheduling the Challenge Cup

Post by Wiganer Ted »

We have been informed that the Challenge Cup will have a new date for the Final. As yet I've not seens any plans or proposals as to when this new schedule will be or how it will work. Therefore I've put here a few of my thoughts on the subject and wondered if anyone else had their own views on the C Cup.

It is to be moved from the last weekend in August to a date in either May or June. My preference is June.

I think that if the Final is the last weekend in June the semi could be the first weekend of June. Also that the C Cup have fixed times of the year so that we all know when the rounds would take place whether it is this year, next or some year in the future. Therefore I think that all rounds should be on the first weekend of a month.
Also, most working people are paid towards the back end of a month if not the last week of a month. Therefore as the Cup is pay again for us season ticket holders the first week of a month would be a time when perhaps we have money still in our bank accounts, wallets, purses and pockets.

An end of June Final would bring the semi to the first weekend in June, quarters first weekend in May and the last 16 first weekend of April.
With the SL season starting first weekend in February then there will be around eight or nine matches before SL clubs enter the C Cup. After the Final there will be four weeks to the end of the regular season, eleven weeks to the end of the eights and thirteen weeks prior to the Grand Final.
I do think that's a good balance from the start of the season and the end.

An end of May final with the same structure for the rounds would be SL clubs joining in March, three weeks after the start of the SL season. The Final would also be around seventeen/eighteen weeks prior to the GF. I think that's too close to the start of the SL season and also Champ and Champ 1 clubs would be in fixture difficulty with such an early start.

An aside reason for me is that both May and August Bank Holidays Network Rail seem to have repair works and shut the West Coast Main Line. That creates a real problem for me getting to the Final. An end of June Final and there's no such problem.

I'd be interested to see other views on the C Cup as I think we supporters should have a view as to when the C Cup should be and our reasons why.