England star Gareth Widdop named co-captain of St George Illawarra

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

England star Gareth Widdop named co-captain of St George Illawarra

Post by josie andrews »

England stand-off Gareth Widdop has been appointed co-captain of St George Illawarra for the 2016 NRL season.

The Halifax-born player, who emigrated to Australia with his family as a teenager, will take charge of the Dragons on game day as team captain, with prop Ben Creagh remaining as club captain.

"I really felt that for the team to move forward we needed a captain who could play the entire 80 minutes," said Dragons coach Paul McGregor.

"With Ben now playing in the middle and being regularly interchanged, for me Gareth was the right person.

"Gareth is in an important position, he is on the field and on the ball for most of the game and is at the right age. I also see it as an important part of his development."

The 26-year-old Widdop has played 118 NRL games after starting his career at Melbourne.

Widdop said: "It's both an honour and privilege to be named captain of such a proud club like the Dragons."

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/n ... -illawarra
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan