Garbage League?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
cpwigan

Garbage League?

Post by cpwigan »

Is SL super or garbage?
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Garbage League?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Funny i was literally going to start a post called R.I.P Super Leaugue

I think the league is in cardiac arrest and the next 2 years are vital to its survival

The ONLY hope is the good Dr - he may not be everyones cup of tea but if he gives up you may as well stick a do not resuscitate sign on it
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The worst aspect WF for me is it reminds me of pre our gang of 4. Back then, clubs were ran by people playing the big I am, minimal costs to themselves, free big game tickets next to the Royal Box Etc and very happy to get the odd piece of silverware. 2016, so many clubs still run by people happy to own clubs with minimal cost to themselves whilst winning a few games and saying WOW how competitive is SL.

Owners incl IL talk about their investment etc, well sorry but with us, the fans, without us the fans attending games, watching games on TV there would be no revenue generated. The spineless Yorkshire clubs used to hate Wigan, Lindsay and co but it was Lindsay and co, our fans that generated the interest to get sponsorship, TV deals for ALL SL / RL. Since then, owners / clubs have been sucking the marrow from the wish bone legacy created.
Wigan_forever1985

Would be interesting if they could pass some form of law on sports team ownership in which you are forced to invest x% of your turnover into improving the team.

I think the most disappointing aspect it fans are almost accetping the 2nd rate nature of the league.

What i cant understand is how IL et al cannot see that bring in a genuine superstar and it puts bums on seats. As admirable as it is to promote youth fans feel short changed about seeing a bunch of 18yr olds who youve only just heard of.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Every club, every league needs star quality. Brett Kenny, Ellery Hanley and co put bums on seats
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

On returning home tonight I watched the Newcastle Knights v Wests Tigers, both young teams, and they would both have put more than one hundred on us today. Wakefield are extremely average, Wigan will finish in the top four and probably go to the GF that tells you everything about the standard of RL in this country.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
kitt green warriors

Post by kitt green warriors »

Having had my bum on east stand, row G, seat 131 upto 3 years ago and now having watched the Broncos for 3 years, I will tell you straight rugby in the UK is garbage, the matches are garbage bar the odd one, the game day experience is garbage everything stinks of "I'm alright Jack".
Also over there the members are just an after thought where as over here you really feel wanted and not just for your money like over there.
At the end of the day those with money make more and them with nowt stay with nowt.
I used to think it was ok but not great but I've had my eyes opened to what proper rugby is.
I always knew that I liked this place, you don't have to look to far to find a friendly face, I feel alive when I'm walking on this street, I feel the heart of this city pounding underneath my feet, yeah if the world keeps spinning round and round this is were it all goes down,down,down, THAT'S WHY I LOVE THIS TOWN!.
Bon Jovi "Lost Highway" 2007
Wigan_forever1985

I still believe that we missed our chance and I'm not sure we will get another

When Sam Tomkins stock was at its highest Rugby League was on the verge of breaking into the mainstream. For any sport to succeed it needs at least one player that trancends it to make the casual fan turn on. In snooker you have Ronnie O'Sullivan for example.

In 2012 we had Sam Tomkins he was everywhere he was getting tweeted by man Utd stars, he was on question of sport he was the face of a advertising campaign that saw him paired with another current star in bradly Wiggins he even played for the barbarians!

Just when it seemed we would make it he leaves, and with it did Superleagues chances IMO, him leaving to test himself in the "best" league killed interest in our sport stone dead. We have never had another player who has come close and Sam himself will never get that fame back the wave has crashed and now we are caught in the wash

This doesn't lie on Tomkins shoulders he did the best thing for him to do at the time, but he made a statement that superleague was nothing more than a stepping stone to better things. Since then the flood gates have opened somewhat and the talent drain has really started were projects and potentials are now getting snapped up and we have become nothing more than a feeder/retirement league.

We will never have a successful league until we have superstars and we will never have superstars until someone has the b@lls to spend some money.

This comes back to my original point - whatever you think of him Dr Koukash is the only one now IMO who can save rugby league

A side point also to this story - as we fall - Union rises, the game as a specticle is becoming closer and I never thought I would say that
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I still believe that we missed our chance and I'm not sure we will get another

When Sam Tomkins stock was at its highest Rugby League was on the verge of breaking into the mainstream. For any sport to succeed it needs at least one player that trancends it to make the casual fan turn on. In snooker you have Ronnie O'Sullivan for example.

In 2012 we had Sam Tomkins he was everywhere he was getting tweeted by man Utd stars, he was on question of sport he was the face of a advertising campaign that saw him paired with another current star in bradly Wiggins he even played for the barbarians!

Just when it seemed we would make it he leaves, and with it did Superleagues chances IMO, him leaving to test himself in the "best" league killed interest in our sport stone dead. We have never had another player who has come close and Sam himself will never get that fame back the wave has crashed and now we are caught in the wash

This doesn't lie on Tomkins shoulders he did the best thing for him to do at the time, but he made a statement that superleague was nothing more than a stepping stone to better things. Since then the flood gates have opened somewhat and the talent drain has really started were projects and potentials are now getting snapped up and we have become nothing more than a feeder/retirement league.

We will never have a successful league until we have superstars and we will never have superstars until someone has the b@lls to spend some money.

This comes back to my original point - whatever you think of him Dr Koukash is the only one now IMO who can save rugby league

A side point also to this story - as we fall - Union rises, the game as a specticle is becoming closer and I never thought I would say that
Good post and very true
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is an excellent post but not one the RFL or many fans want to hear or even accept. A month will pass and the idiots in the media and fans will say Wakey v Wigan showed just how competitive SL is (BOLLOCKS)