Hewer to take charge of Challenge Cup Final

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Hewer to take charge of Challenge Cup Final

Post by josie andrews »

Gareth Hewer has been selected to referee the 2016 Ladbrokes Challenge Cup final between Hull FC and Warrington Wolves at Wembley Stadium on Saturday, August 27 (3.00pm).

Hewer, who has been officiating for twelve years, has taken charge of games at all levels including the Kingstone Press League 1, Kingstone Press Championship and First Utility Super League and was named Referee of the Year in 2009.

The 34-year-old combines his time on the pitch with a career at Sellafield in Cumbria as a Shift Engineering Team Leader in their Magnox reprocessing facilities. As well as making important decisions on the field during big games each week, Hewer is also the man responsible for an electrical and instrumentation maintenance team during the week.

Hewer has officiated 24 First Utility Super League games this season, refereed the recent Ladbrokes Challenge Cup semi-final between Warrington Wolves and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats and has recent experience on the international stage, taking charge of France v Scotland in 2015.

Assisting him on the day will be touch-judges Mark Craven and Mike Woodhead, whilst Ben Thaler will be the video referee on the day.

Ladbrokes Challenge Cup final referee, Gareth Hewer, said: “This really is a dream come true for me.

“We’ve got a fantastic group of referees at The RFL who work hard all season to make sure things run smoothly each week. To be picked as the Ladbrokes Challenge Cup Final referee is an absolute honour.

“I’m usually really excited at this point in August about attending the final as a spectator or watching on television with friends – now I’m the guy in the middle controlling the game.

“Today marks the start of an important week for the team. There’ll be plenty of planning ahead of Saturday to make sure the game is an enjoyable one for all.”

RFL Head of Match Officials, Steve Ganson, said: “Gareth has had a very solid season alongside a 12-year career to date. He is a very experienced referee and this game is a worthy reward for his efforts so far.

“Moments like this are encouraging for other referees who aspire to officiate on the big stage. I’m sure Gareth will use this experience to help others along and attract those thinking about getting into refereeing.”

Over 75,000 tickets have already been sold for the 2016 Ladbrokes Challenge Cup final and a limited amount are still available from just £25. To book your place at the historic final visit www.rugby-league.com/tickets or call the Rugby League Ticket Hotline on 0844 856 1113.

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/383 ... ILSi7.dpuf
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Hewer to take charge of Challenge Cup Final

Post by josie andrews »

I have nothing against Gareth officiating the Cup Final, but it seems strange that a "part time" referee should get it before a full time one!

Is this, & no disrespect to Gareth whatsoever, to further trivialise the Challenge Cup's significance in our game as opposed to Super League & the Grand Final? ????????
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

We've been saying for years that Referees as well as players need to be held to account for their performances. The Likes of Bentham, Thaler, Child and Silverwood have basically had free reign of the league for several seasons as there was simply no-one else available.

This season we have seen the emergence of a crop of young officials and I have to say it's been a breath of fresh air. The RFL have had no qualms in sending Child to the championship and given the bigger games to the Young lads who I have to say for the most part seem to be doing a far better job. They are controlling the games but allowing them to flow at the same time and they seem to have the respect of the players. As opposed to a Child officiated whistle fest over which he has Zero control.

I saw Silverwood had a bit of a sly dig on twitter about Hewer and the 2 Touch Judges being part time officials, but I suspect they won't be part time for long. Messrs Thaler, Child, Hicks and Bentham should take this as a wake up call. They aren't guaranteed the big games anymore, if they aren't up to the job there are young lads who will be more than capable of taking their spots.

For once, in my opinion I think the RFL has got this one spot on. I hope Hewer has a cracking game, and I equally hope that come 5pm on Saturday night, his name is not being mentioned.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I do rate Thaler, but generally I agree with that re the younger refs.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I, too, agree that this new set of young refs have been exceptional, & as I said I have absolutely nothing against Gareth. I wish him good luck & hope he has a good game ????????????????

You just wouldn't get a junior ref never mind a part time ref in charge of the FA Cup Final.
WiganWoman1968

Post by WiganWoman1968 »

Maybe he really likes his job at Sellafield. RL salaries aren't amazing.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Credit to Gareth, he had a cracking game ????????????????????????????
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Hewer was outstanding frankly a credit to his profession.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Hewer was very good which is more than be said for the game which in my opinion was poor.

As for the Lance Todd Trophy, that should have gone in my opinion to Stephen Ratchford who apart from one mistake was outstanding in both attack and defence.

And as for the result, Hull did not win it, Warrington blew it!

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Danny Houghton was man of the match for me,the work he put in with those conditions was phenomenal, did the tackle table show he was a clear 15 tackles more than the next highest tackler on the day, plus the last Ditch effort to stop Currie grounding the ball at the end of the game was a match winner, you could see on Houghton's face what it meant to him.
Jiffy and Co said the game would be remembered for that tackle and they did say Houghton deserved the Lance Todd, and I do agree.
Most rugby playing colleagues and supporters that I have spoken to have said the same.
Sneyd had a poor first half, looked as though he was bottling it again like he did in the Cas final a few seasons ago, the kicks he made in the 2nd half were spot on, but they had to be finished off.
Ratchford made too many unforced errors (knock ons) to be selected from a loosing team, Sandow was more pivotal for wire in that game for me.
I enjoyed the game for the amount of effort that was put in, an exciting end for the neutral that maybe most didn't see coming from 10 points behind. I wasn't fussed who won, and as Whelley says, maybe Warrington let the game slip. It makes me wonder had Dom caught that ball over our try line in the semi. Games are won in narrow margins, single mistakes sometimes.
I think Hull FC will go crazy on celebrating this, being it their first Wembley final success, and I honestly think they will not get to the grand final. Just my gut feeling.

Back on thread, and being a Cumbrian, I was pleased Gareth Hewer got appointed the final and thought he officiated it very well, honestly, fairly and let the game flow which was a fear many fans prior to the game thinking he would be blowing his whistle too often.
Well done Gareth with your part in a great final for the neutral.