Sinfield named RFL rugby Director

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
adiddy

Re: Sinfield named RFL rugby Director

Post by adiddy »

This has been in the pipeline for a number of months now. When we played Widnes in June, he was on the radio saying he had turned down an offer to return to Leeds as he was in negotiations with the RFL for a high profile job with them which he was very excited about, as his first love is rugby league, and how he wanted to make a difference to how the sport is run. He spoke eloquently and with passion and knowledge, and I for one am glad that he's getting involved. As an ex-high profile player he knows what is lacking in the running of the RFL and I hope he is successful in his newish role.

Matt
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

markill wrote:It's got nothing to do with Leeds and I don't see Sinfield as that sort of character to do things purposely to favour his former club, but I don't understand his role. Was this something they were looking for already or have they just done it for some kind of headlines and credit. The RFL have certainly gone big on publicising the deal.
A well known name in sport, was runner up in BBC sports personality of the year, maybe the RFL see this as a good example.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I wonder if some would be as critical of the appointment if he had played for another club rather than Leeds.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Whelley Warrior wrote:I wonder if some would be as critical of the appointment if he had played for another club rather than Leeds.
Not a chance maybe an Ex Saints player.

IL and Wane once he announced his retirement should have made a move for him as a part of the coaching team even if it was for a big wedge of money.

The best game managing player in SL's history. Not a true great individual player but he knew when to control a game. Something we truly lack.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

The most overhyped player that I can remember, played in several positions both at club and international level with limited success.Never robust enough to be a top class13, too slow for 6 or 7.Neither was he ever in the running for MOS.He has been a clean living lad and a role model for young players and had a good kicking game.IMO he was fortunate to have a good settled side around him for a long period of time and of course played for Leeds which speaks volumes.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

old hooker wrote:The most overhyped player that I can remember, played in several positions both at club and international level with limited success.Never robust enough to be a top class13, too slow for 6 or 7.Neither was he ever in the running for MOS.He has been a clean living lad and a role model for young players and had a good kicking game.IMO he was fortunate to have a good settled side around him for a long period of time and of course played for Leeds which speaks volumes.
Agreed!! Very fortunate career!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

old hooker wrote:The most overhyped player that I can remember, played in several positions both at club and international level with limited success.Never robust enough to be a top class13, too slow for 6 or 7.Neither was he ever in the running for MOS.He has been a clean living lad and a role model for young players and had a good kicking game.IMO he was fortunate to have a good settled side around him for a long period of time and of course played for Leeds which speaks volumes.
He and Peacock retire and they went downhill dramatically. However good he was as a player can be debated but he knew how to control games.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

thegimble wrote: he knew how to control games.
Thought that was the ref's job? :lol: :wink:
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

The moment I first saw him in a schoolboys game at Central Park where he was by far the best player on the field, I could see that a great career was ahead of him as a player, goal kicker and above all a Captain.

For anyone to suggest otherwise just because he played for Leeds is nonsense.

old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
The moment I first saw him in a schoolboys game at Central Park where he was by far the best player on the field, I could see that a great career was ahead of him as a player, goal kicker and above all a Captain.

For anyone to suggest otherwise just because he played for Leeds is nonsense.

Here we go again, you could not respond by saying you disagree but you have to call other peoples opinions nonsense.What a sad and bitter little person you must be.