Sinfield named RFL rugby Director

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Sutty

Sinfield named RFL rugby Director

Post by Sutty »

It was bad enough with Hetherington having the RFL in his pocket, but now he's got Sir Kev in there, I can't imagine what Leeds will be able to get away with now :angry:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/37173857

josie andrews

Sinfield Joins RFL

Post by josie andrews »

The RFL have today announced that Kevin Sinfield MBE has joined the governing body in the role of Rugby Director starting on Thursday, September 1, 2016.
Sinfield will split his time between the Performance & Development department at Red Hall, the RFL’s headquarters in Leeds, and with the Commercial, Marketing and Communications teams based at Media City UK in Manchester.

At Red Hall, Sinfield will lead on the review of the RFL Performance Strategy and assist in devising a four-year England 2021 World Cup Performance Plan. He will also lead a review of England’s 2016 Four Nations programme, reporting back to the RFL Board.

Working closely with the commercial, marketing, communications and events teams in Quay West, Sinfield will be involved in various projects with a focus on business development, event support and post-career player development.

The former England and Leeds Rhinos captain played over 500 times for the club he joined in 1997 and went on to win seven Super League titles, two Challenge Cups and the World Club Challenge and League Leaders’ Shield three times. He has also been awarded the Golden Boot, Lance Todd Trophy, Harry Sunderland Trophy, named in the Super League Dream Team four times and recently came second in the BBC’s Sports Personality of the Year awards.

Speaking about the appointment, Chief Executive of the RFL, Nigel Wood said: “I’m pleased that we have been able to attract someone with the experience and calibre of Kevin Sinfield to join the RFL.

“The 20 years Kevin has spent as a player at the very highest level of the game will provide us with incredible insight and having spoken to him at length about the opportunity to work with us, I know that he is determined to make as much of a difference off the pitch to the sport of Rugby League as he did on it.

“This appointment is one of a number of significant executive announcements that we will be making in the coming months.”

On joining the RFL, Kevin Sinfield said: “I’m delighted to be joining The RFL. I am very grateful for the opportunity and really excited about working with some talented people. I’m aiming to help our sport achieve great things in the coming years both domestically and internationally.

“I believe it’s important for our sport to have a strong international set up. With the World Cup next year in Australia and then potentially on home soil again in 2021 the coming years could be really positive for Rugby League.

On other players joining The RFL, Sinfield added: “There are some incredible personalities in Rugby League who have a great mix of experience and knowledge. Hopefully by taking on this role it will encourage other players, both former and current, who have aspirations of furthering their careers to come and pursue a new pathway at The RFL.”

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2016- ... C2KtirR.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Sinfield named RFL rugby Director

Post by josie andrews »

Sorry Sutty, I didn't see your thread with it being in the Off Topic forum.

I've moved it to the General forum & merged my post with yours.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If Sinfield has the tools for the job then fine or is it just a case of jobs for the boys?

Time will tell.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote:If Sinfield has the tools for the job then fine or is it just a case of jobs for the boys?

Time will tell.

That's exactly what I thought! And as Sutty says, it's bad enough to know that Hethrington already has the RFL in his pocket!

It's about time the RFL was moved away from Leeds! IMO
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Just becuase you've been a great of the game,and whatever you think of him he has,what does he bring to the job he's now doing?

I'm scratching my head i've got to be honest and what he will bring to the role,so i will give him time to stamp himself on it.

Ive always thought Liverpool should have be the RFLs headquarters,little interest in the game,bar st helens and thats very much on the outskirts no hint of bias for anyone to clamp onto as all ruling bodies should show no bias and been seen to show it too.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote:Just becuase you've been a great of the game,and whatever you think of him he has,what does he bring to the job he's now doing?

I'm scratching my head i've got to be honest and what he will bring to the role,so i will give him time to stamp himself on it.

Ive always thought Liverpool should have be the RFLs headquarters,little interest in the game,bar st helens and thats very much on the outskirts no hint of bias for anyone to clamp onto as all ruling bodies should show no bias and been seen to show it too.
Good shout ????????
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Jobs for the boys, it stinks.
markill

Post by markill »

It's got nothing to do with Leeds and I don't see Sinfield as that sort of character to do things purposely to favour his former club, but I don't understand his role. Was this something they were looking for already or have they just done it for some kind of headlines and credit. The RFL have certainly gone big on publicising the deal.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

markill wrote:It's got nothing to do with Leeds and I don't see Sinfield as that sort of character to do things purposely to favour his former club, but I don't understand his role. Was this something they were looking for already or have they just done it for some kind of headlines and credit. The RFL have certainly gone big on publicising the deal.
You can hardly blame the RFL when Sinfield gained so much attention last season and did so well in in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Vote.

Any good publicity for our game cannot be bad when you look at the way sport news is now dominated by the overated and overpaid game of Football.

But the more cynical will say they now know why the chips were stacked against Wigan winning last year's Grand Final with the Hull KR supporters thinking the same about the Challenge Cup Final