St George's Blog 2016 - Part 1

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

England half-back, George Williams, says he still has to pinch himself at times as he prepares for the Ladbrokes Four Nations.

The Wigan stand-off helped seal Grand Final glory just under two weeks ago at Old Trafford and is now preparing for international duty.

Writing in his weekly blog, George commented: “If you had told me a couple of years ago that I would be the Wigan number six and in the England squad at this stage of my career then I would never have believed you.

“It’s still all a bit surreal for me because I am only 21-years-old and I never expected any of this so early on but I am really happy with how things are going so far and just want to kick on now.”

The eyes of the Rugby League world now turn to the Four Nations as England host Scotland, New Zealand and Australia in the Four Team competition.

Wayne Bennett will take charge of his first England game on Saturday in a warm-up game against France.

On the new coach, Williams wrote: “Training has been pretty intense and tough under Wayne Bennett so far which is good because he just wants us to be at our best.

“Wayne is an honest man but he can have a laugh with you as well which is the sort of relationship you want with a coach.

“We’ve got a very strong team this year and we’re confident so I don’t see any reason why we can’t go out there and win it.”

http://wiganwarriors.com/news/2016-10-2 ... rXWjRsC.99

Hi guys,

I’m back! Hope everyone is well?

Well, what a season it has been! I am still buzzing about winning the Grand Final, I’ll never forget that feeling of lifting the trophy at Old Trafford for Wigan.

We certainly had a good few days after it and I hope you did too!

To win a Grand Final alongside Matty (Smith) was a great feeling. It’s going to be weird not having him around next year, he’s been a great mentor for me and is a great guy on and off the field. I’ll definitely stay in touch with Smeegs and wish him all the best.

I’m excited for next season already though! I stood on the terraces when Tommy Leuluai was last at Wigan so he is someone I have admired for a long time. I’m looking forward to playing alongside him next season and hopefully forming a good partnership.

I learned a lot in 2015, it was my first full year playing in the halves for the first team but I think 2016 was the best year of my career to date.

If you had told me a couple of years ago that I would be the Wigan number six and in the England squad at this stage of my career then I would never have believed you.

It’s still all a bit surreal for me because I am only 21-years-old and I never expected any of this so early on in my career but I am really happy with how things are going so far and just want to kick on now.

The Super League season might be over but now all eyes are on the Four Nations! It is a massive privilege to be picked again for England.

It was such a proud moment for me and my family when I made my international debut last year and hopefully I will get to pull on the jersey again this time around…

Training has been pretty intense and tough under Wayne Bennett so far which is good because he just wants us to be at our best.

Wayne is an honest man but he can have a laugh with you as well which is the sort of relationship you want with a coach.

We’ve got a very strong team this year and we’re confident so I don’t see any reason why we can’t go out there and win it.

Hope to see some of you at the England games, I hear Huddersfield is sold out but there’s still tickets available at Coventry, London and at Anfield too apparently.

Speak soon, George

[url]http://wiganwarriors.com/st-georges-blo ... llfSBA1.99[/uri]
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan