Corey Thompson to leave Widnes at end of season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Corey Thompson to leave Widnes at end of season

Post by josie andrews »

Widnes winger Corey Thompson has activated an opt-out clause in his contract that will enable him to return to Australia at the end of the season.

The 26-year-old former Canterbury Bulldogs player, who was second only to Denny Solomona in the Super League tryscoring chart in his first season with the Vikings in 2016, signed a new two-year deal last August but says he wants to cut short his stay for personal reasons.

“Although I have loved my time at Widnes Vikings since joining in 2016, I have made this decision in order to be closer to family and friends,” Thompson said. “The Vikings supporters have been brilliant with me during my stay and I cannot thank them enough for their support and backing of me and the team since I have arrived.

“To score 27 tries in my debut season here was absolutely fantastic. It is an achievement that I am proud of and to do it in a Vikings team that recorded the club’s best ever position in the Super League made it even better.

“I will continue to give my all for the club for the remainder of 2017 as we try to improve upon our position in Super League, as well as the Challenge Cup, before heading back to Australia for the next stage in my career.”

Widnes coach Denis Betts said: “I would like to wish Corey and his family the best of luck for the future and thank him for his service to the Vikings. This is a decision that the club was not expecting. However, this now frees up a quota space for us to utilise and strengthen the squad in 2018.”

http://sport.bt.com/rugby-league/corey- ... 4177911008
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan