Leeds Rhinos sack coach Brian McDermott

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ian.birchall

Re: Leeds Rhinos sack coach Brian McDermott

Post by ian.birchall »

He could have done to take a leaf out of Wanes book!
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I certainly don't want him at Wigan. He offers nothing newer than Wane and we need new ideas.

He is being linked to the job of course and in a way it wouldn't surprise me if he did end up here. There are few coaches available and it would be an easy and lazy appointment.

Now Wigan have to compete with Leeds to sign a top coach. If they end up with Furner and we end up with McDermott I think various forums and facebook groups would explode. Not because Furner is viewed as a top coach in particular but what it would say about Wigan's inability and lack of ambition to attract anyone but the unemployed!

Would be seen a seriously uninspired appointment.

Interesting comments by GH at the end of the Youtube video. Despite being in the CC still and recognising the injuries have affected the teams results this year, he says the sacking is due to the trajectory the club was headed overall. So despite this and the recent GF success he decided a new coach was required. Which is exactly what many said IL should have concluded about Wane and his tenure one or two seasons ago.
jobo

Post by jobo »

They're saying Leeds have signed Denis Betts on a 3 year contract.

If they have, then good luck to him because Leeds are in a mess.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Theres already a few Wigan fans saying he would be a great signing for Wigan and would do well because IL would give him the money he would want for players, Sometimes i wonder what rattles round in some folks heads
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

the guy i sit next to at home games chucked this in on Friday night

i know who Wigans next coach is - Barrie McDermott

i said who?

he's getting sacked at Leeds and will be Wigans next new coach, sorry Brian i said Barrie

i thought he was having a laugh with me and really hope he ws chucking me a bit of bait to see if i went for it

i am now just praying that it was just a wind up :)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

How many potential season tickets would be lost with the signing of McDermott, surely Lenners isn't stupid enough to sign a coach that has been sacked due to poor performances :o
oldhooker

Post by oldhooker »

medlocke wrote:How many potential season tickets would be lost with the signing of McDermott, surely Lenners isn't stupid enough to sign a coach that has been sacked due to poor performances :o
If he comes cheap IL may well do so
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote:I certainly don't want him at Wigan. He offers nothing newer than Wane and we need new ideas.

He is being linked to the job of course and in a way it wouldn't surprise me if he did end up here. There are few coaches available and it would be an easy and lazy appointment.

Now Wigan have to compete with Leeds to sign a top coach. If they end up with Furner and we end up with McDermott I think various forums and facebook groups would explode. Not because Furner is viewed as a top coach in particular but what it would say about Wigan's inability and lack of ambition to attract anyone but the unemployed!

Interesting comments by GH at the end of the Youtube video. Despite being in the CC still and recognising the injuries have affected the teams results this year, he says the sacking is due to the trajectory the club was headed overall. So despite this and the recent GF success he decided a new coach was required. Which is exactly what many said IL should have concluded about Wane and his tenure one or two seasons ago.

But leeds stuck by McD for 8 years and leeds have been in a worse situation than us in recent years (middle 8s)

leeds have the money they can piss off with their injury crisis its nowhere near what we have previously suffered and the team last week was a strong one.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote:I certainly don't want him at Wigan. He offers nothing newer than Wane and we need new ideas.

But leeds stuck by McD for 8 years and leeds have been in a worse situation than us in recent years (middle 8s)

leeds have the money they can piss off with their injury crisis its nowhere near what we have previously suffered and the team last week was a strong one.
When people suggested we ought to get rid of Wane because he was taking the club backwards in their opinion one of the main arguments against this was his trophy winning record. McDermott's trophy winning record is double Wane's and they are the current champions yet that has not stopped Leeds sacking him. Leeds may have been in the middle 8's but we got knocked out of the cup by HKR and now nilled in the cup by Wire. So I see little difference.

Wane has not done as well as McDermott yet Wane's record was his saviour apparently when people expressed their dissatisfaction.

McDermott is upset he's been fired and points to injuries but those running Leeds have apparently seen through that as the trajectory of their team despite the trophies is not what they want. Wigan should have also not given Wane the benefit of the doubt last season when we had injuries IMO. The writing was already on the wall and under a different regime I think he'd have been sacked before this season and before he resigned.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Boring Dave ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan