Leeds Rhinos sack coach Brian McDermott

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Leeds Rhinos sack coach Brian McDermott

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos have sacked coach Brian McDermott. McDermott was appointed at the end of the 2010 season and was the club’s longest-serving and most successful team boss.

His departure comes with Rhinos on a seven-game losing run in Betfred Super League and eighth in the table, with only points differences separating them from the bottom four.

In a club statement, chief executive Gary Hetherington admitted the coach’s exit was “disappointing” and said the search for a successor will begin immediately. McDermott, in the same statement, confirmed he was “extremely disappointed” to be leaving Rhinos, but insisted he wished the club well in the future.

The Wakefield-born former Bradford Bulls and Great Britain player had a spell as assistant to then-Leeds coach Tony Smith in 2004-2005. He left to coach London Broncos, but returned to Rhinos in the autumn of 2010.

Under McDermott, Rhinos won four Super Grand Finals, two Challenge Cups, a League Leaders’ Shield and a World Club Challenge. However, Rhinos’ league form was less impressive.

They were fifth in 2011 and 2012, sixth in 2014 and ninth two years ago. In Rhinos’ statement, club chief executive Gary Hetherington said: “It is always disappointing to announce the departure of someone who has contributed so much to our club’s success and Brian McDermott has certainly done that.

“The club’s most successful coach has also helped to forge a rugby operation with toughness, resilience and a strong desire to succeed, which his successor will inherit. That search will now begin in earnest.

“Eight years is a long time for any head coach at the same club and we have enjoyed much success and endured some difficult times along the way when tough decisions had to be made. “We have always come through strongly, but I do believe our present predicament requires change and that this is the right call for the club.

“Brian is a man of the utmost integrity and passion for rugby league. He has so much to offer the sport and I have no doubt he will go on to achieve more success in the future. Leeds Rhinos will be forever indebted to his contribution.”

McDermott commented: “I am extremely disappointed this has happened and obviously it is not a decision I agree with. I wish everyone at the club the best and my thoughts will be with the team on Sunday and through to the end of the season.” Rhinos’ next game is away to Castleford Tigers on Sunday.

There is no indication yet who will be in charge of the team this week.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... -1-9230247
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Leeds Rhinos sack coach Brian McDermott

Post by medlocke »

What's the bets on it being a top coach that we should have gone for but Lenners is too tight to sack Waney so we miss out :eusa16:
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

medlocke wrote:What's the bets on it being a top coach that we should have gone for but Lenners is too tight to sack Waney so we miss out :eusa16:
:D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I wouldn’t want him anyway! Don’t think he hardly coached that Leeds team he inherited with the likes of Sinfield, Peacock, Maguire, Burrows, JJB etc

They were in the middle 8’s when Sinfield & Peascock left.

Look how they are now he has to build moreorless from scratch!

He only won the GF last year cos Cas were like rabbits caught in headlights plus was Maguire’s swansong & he played a blinder.

But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote:I wouldn’t want him anyway! Don’t think he hardly coached that Leeds team he inherited with the likes of Sinfield, Peacock, Maguire, Burrows, JJB etc

They were in the middle 8’s when Sinfield & Peascock left.

Look how they are now he has to build moreorless from scratch!

He only won the GF last year cos Cas were like rabbits caught in headlights plus was Maguire’s swansong & he played a blinder.
I doubt any Wigan fan would want him here
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

He wasnt a happy chappy....... he was very bitchy with sky, everytime they asked him a controversial question
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

David Furner favourite for Leeds job

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/da ... leeds-job/
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Looking at the Leeds' fans comments for some time they believe a lot of their squad are not SL standard.
Last Thursday some that are SL standard didn't show it.
Trouble for Leeds coaches is that Hetherington does the signing of players. If they are not SL standard then that's GH's fault not the fault of the coach.

Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Im glad, he has to be the most obnoxious interviewee when it comes to sky and it really makes you dislike him

seems like he set out to disagree with everything they interviewer said and more so tried to make out they were an idiot for asking.

The interview could say anything

"so brian the sky is blue"
"well i wouldnt say that no. Its definitely not green but i wouldn't say blue"
"
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

It looks like Leeds had Furner lined up for the job. Perhaps they thought we may be interested too. Seems a sensible choice, I hope they got it wrong though.