Drugs Again!!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
SJ

Re: Drugs Again!!

Post by SJ »

doc wrote:The reason cocaine is banned is because in some sports it does give an advantage e.g. sprinters. The banned list covers all sports, not just RL.
Thanks Doc. I defer to your assertion that the drug in question is "performance enhancing This shines a different light on the question of suspension ,banning etc. But the question of "well being" I think you would agree is still pertinent :)
doc

Post by doc »

I would guess that most players could be sacked for taking recreational or performance enhancing drugs as this could be construed at gross misconduct or bringing the name of the club into disrepute. In addition, the fact that they are not available to play/train could be construed as failure to live up to their part of the contract. Personally I think how we handled Hock is a good example of how these things should be handled. Repeat offenders have no excuses. Personally I am surprised that clubs in SL don't do internal drug tests as they are compulsory in plenty of other occupations.

What is interesting is that very few footballers are publicly outed for abusing recreational drugs and banned. The backgrounds of the English players are similar to RL players and they have a lot more money to burn so I am amazed that it is not happening more often. I can only remember a Russian player at Chelsea a while back (the name escapes me). A BBC Panorama investigation said that such cases were hushed up by the clubs and the player was listed as being injured so as not to affect future transfer fees.

I think RFL is far more open about reporting drug test results (recreational or performance enhancing) than a lot of other sports governing bodies.
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

doc wrote: I can only remember a Russian player at Chelsea a while back (the name escapes me).
Adrian Mutu and Mark Bosnich both got banned for drug use whilst at Chelsea.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I both compete and coach in triathlon, I occasionally suffer from depression, my wife suffers incredibly bad from depression too. Yet neither of us have used cocaine or alcohol (or any other banned substance) to help us deal with it and "feel better". In my opinion, the "I used it because I was depressed" is a cop out.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sutty wrote:I both compete and coach in triathlon, I occasionally suffer from depression, my wife suffers incredibly bad from depression too. Yet neither of us have used cocaine or alcohol (or any other banned substance) to help us deal with it and "feel better". In my opinion, the "I used it because I was depressed" is a cop out.
Me too. It’s a terrible illness. Hope you both cope with it ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
doc

Post by doc »

The booze hound wrote:
doc wrote: I can only remember a Russian player at Chelsea a while back (the name escapes me).
Adrian Mutu and Mark Bosnich both got banned for drug use whilst at Chelsea.
Motu was the one I was thinking about. I forgot about Bosnich.

Didn't Chelsea sue Motu for breach of contract after he got banned?