Eddie Hearn

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
AncientWarrior

Eddie Hearn

Post by AncientWarrior »

Read this recently. Very thought provoking:
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... n=sharebar
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

ian b

Re: Eddie Hearn

Post by ian b »

he's proven himself over and over again.
endoman

Post by endoman »

Let him get on with it, something needs to change and he has a record of delivery. We might not like some of it, but it's better having something not to like than nothing at all!
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

I have a feeling he is pulling the strings of the new SL chief. Hearn family made Darts and to a degree Snooker a lot more popular than it ought to be. And with Darts that now is watched by millions every year world wide.

But his dad has the claim to fame he made Fish popular on TV so if they can turn fish into gold RL should be a doddle. But severe and changes we will not like need to be done.

And that is RL problem the traditionalist will pipe up and stop any drastic changes from happening.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

thegimble wrote:I have a feeling he is pulling the strings of the new SL chief. Hearn family made Darts and to a degree Snooker a lot more popular than it ought to be. And with Darts that now is watched by millions every year world wide.

But his dad has the claim to fame he made Fish popular on TV so if they can turn fish into gold RL should be a doddle. But severe and changes we will not like need to be done.

And that is RL problem the traditionalist will pipe up and stop any drastic changes from happening.

IMO two leagues of 10 and event matches similar to magic would come in, for example Wigan vs Saint and Wire vs Widnes double header at Anfield or Wigan vs Leeds and Saint vs Cas at Etihad. Games taking place on a weekend to maximise the attendance.
Plus slightly reduce the ticket prices to help fill stadiums, it means less matches at DW but will benefit the sport (DW isn't doing us any favours). With the right advertising and sponsorship plus a real negotiation with Sky by pros not the RFL, the sport will pick up and start to gain popularity.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Josie's friend wrote:
thegimble wrote:I have a feeling he is pulling the strings of the new SL chief. Hearn family made Darts and to a degree Snooker a lot more popular than it ought to be. And with Darts that now is watched by millions every year world wide.

IMO two leagues of 10 and event matches similar to magic would come in, for example Wigan vs Saint and Wire vs Widnes double header at Anfield or Wigan vs Leeds and Saint vs Cas at Etihad. Games taking place on a weekend to maximise the attendance.
Plus slightly reduce the ticket prices to help fill stadiums, it means less matches at DW but will benefit the sport (DW isn't doing us any favours). With the right advertising and sponsorship plus a real negotiation with Sky by pros not the RFL, the sport will pick up and start to gain popularity.
Can you honestly see the chairmen going for that?

Not a chance of it happening like that.
Josie's friend

Post by Josie's friend »

fozzieskem wrote:
Josie's friend wrote:

Can you honestly see the chairmen going for that?

Not a chance of it happening like that.
No not at all and there in lies The problem
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

They can court Hearn all they like and he may put a couple of dolly birdsongs the pitch and encourage a few young guns to get daft haircuts etc but real change will not be allowed by the vested interests off the gang of 12,they say they want to act cool and go with along with them but deep down as I’ve said it’ll come to naught.

Have to say though I don’t see the Hearns as the saviour of oursport,farts is vastly different than rugby and I doubt they’ll get the contract on that basis aline
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote:They can court Hearn all they like and he may put a couple of dolly birdsongs the pitch and encourage a few young guns to get daft haircuts etc but real change will not be allowed by the vested interests off the gang of 12,they say they want to act cool and go with along with them but deep down as I’ve said it’ll come to naught.

Have to say though I don’t see the Hearns as the saviour of oursport,farts is vastly different than rugby and I doubt they’ll get the contract on that basis aline

Gang of 12 if you read the articles around the recent issues the reasoning behind it all is pretty sound, as is the reason for sticking to 12 at the moment (they would love 14 teams but the standard isnt there). The issue for the sport is always going to be the Cap though while that is still in its current form what chance does any team wanting to grow the sport have?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

fozzieskem wrote:They can court Hearn all they like and he may put a couple of dolly birdsongs the pitch and encourage a few young guns to get daft haircuts etc but real change will not be allowed by the vested interests off the gang of 12,they say they want to act cool and go with along with them but deep down as I’ve said it’ll come to naught.

Fozzie, I’m puzzled by your reference to the ‘gang of twelve’. Is it not reasonable for the chairmen to want the game to expand and thereby increase revenue? What ‘vested interests’ are you referring to?

Matchroom Sports, the Hearn’s company, is responsible for a major expansion of snooker, darts and boxing and the firm’s influence within the media in general and Sky Sports in particular is considerable. When first approached by RL, Eddie Hearn said that he didn’t know any of the top players in the sport and even less about the sport itself.

As a vastly experienced Sports Promoter, his views are worth listening to.

As regards the Salary Cap, whatever anyone’s views are, it has led to top players leaving the sport e.g. Jason Robinson, or a failure to recruit stars into the game. The result is that we have fewer and fewer top names and personalities to promote the game and in my view, it’s dying on it’s feet. Something positive needs to be done.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.