England opt for Tomkins over Ratchford for Kiwis clash

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

England opt for Tomkins over Ratchford for Kiwis clash

Post by josie andrews »

There is also no place in Wayne Bennett’s 19-man squad for Tom Johnstone or Treece Lyne.

Stefan Ratchford has been dropped by England for the first test against New Zealand this weekend.

The Warrington full-back has missed out on a place in Wayne Bennett’s 19-man squad to Sam Tomkins, who is back involved for the first time since 2014.

Tomkins, who will play for Catalan Dragons next season, aims to add to his 23 caps, the last of which he won against New Zealand four years ago.

Bennett has selected 11 of the 17 players that last played against the Kiwis in Denver in June, with Tom Johnstone also missing out.

Treece Lyne does not make the squad this time around, with Adam Milner and Joe Greenwood also not involved.

Oliver Gildart could make his debut after he was unavailable against France last month as he was taking part in the Grand Final.

Bennett’s men take on the Kiwis in a three-match series beginning at the KCOM Stadium in Hull on Saturday, with further games at Liverpool’s Anfield and Elland Road in Leeds.

John Bateman George Burgess Tom Burgess Daryl Clark Jake Connor Oliver Gildart James Graham Chris Hill Josh Hodgson Jonny Lomax Tommy Makinson Jermaine McGillvary Richie Myler Sean O'Loughlin Mark Percival Luke Thompson Sam Tomkins Elliott Whitehead George Williams

http://sport.bt.com/news/england-opt-fo ... 4305282626 :conf:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: England opt for Tomkins over Ratchford for Kiwis clash

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Surely not!! :eh:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I can only presume thats because of experience ratchford has been standout all season for me at wire, England are missing alot of players though so tomkins organisation is probably what hes after.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Correct decision, different class.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Depends on what you're looking for

Ratchford is better individually than tomkins

Tomkins is a better team player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

He will play lomax at fullback i think
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Firestarter wrote:He will play lomax at fullback i think

I'd be surprised.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Depends on what you're looking for

First of all Ratchford is not a better player in any way or form imo, secondly RL is a team game so why would Ratchford be selected over Sam? Tomkins every time.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

moto748 wrote:
Firestarter wrote:He will play lomax at fullback i think

I'd be surprised.
Me too, Connor and Lomax at 6 and 7 for me.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

old hooker wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Depends on what you're looking for

First of all Ratchford is not a better player in any way or form imo, secondly RL is a team game so why would Ratchford be selected over Sam? Tomkins every time.
ok examples

Kick return on a broken field Ratchford has the ability to go full length beating a few players, tomkins does not. Ratchfords footwork and agility are better than tomkins especially 2nd stint tomkins

Ratchford also has no self preservation so steams into places tomkins wont.

what i mean for playing for the team ratchford would try something crazy like a chip over or take himself near the try line to score, sometimes it comes off and looks great, tomkins wont do this unless he is absolutely convinced he will score, he will take the tackle or move the play inside.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure