A dying game?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ian.birchall

A dying game?

Post by ian.birchall »

I am afraid that our game is slowly dying away. What has brought this on so you say?
The KC stadium was only 75% full on Saturday and watching the France v Wales game on the red button from Carcasonne the crowd in what is meant to be a Rugby League heartland was the proverbial trois hommes et un chien.
What with the Rugby League shooting itself in the foot, once again ????, putting the next game on in Liverpool, compounding that with sheer incompetence in selling tickets for a game on Saturday then having to refund every purchasers money, when due to not having cleared the match date with Merseyside Police, swapping the game to the Sunday, in a 50000+ ground that will be seen on national tv as less than 50% full at best the game we all love will be opened to public ridicule once again.
I am just glad that the England game at Twickenham will be restricted to Sky but with wall to wall coverage on the BBC and in the national press no doubt, I just wonder if during the Scotland v Wales game on the BBC on Saturday we will get any promotion of our game next day to compare with the plugs during the transmission from Hull of that RU game.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Fujiman

Re: A dying game?

Post by Fujiman »

I agree with you Ian but I think with the direction the new guy at Super League, Robert Elstone, things are looking up.It will be a long slog but he will get us there, dragging the RFL kicking and screaming along with him.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Fujiman wrote:I agree with you Ian but I think with the direction the new guy at Super League, Robert Elstone, things are looking up.It will be a long slog but he will get us there, dragging the RFL kicking and screaming along with him.
I wish I had your optimism Fuji I really do, the game is on its backside and I cannot see anyone improving gates, clubs being bought by the super rich or top sponsors becoming involved.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It's just so hard to plan for these events as nobody knows what the crowds will be. Which is better to promote our game, a half full Anfield or a sold out DW. Its difficult as next week could see a half full Elland Road, but if its the decider it could easily be a sell out.

The change from Saturday afternoon to Sunday is a big let down, the tri-nations final at Anfield showed the interest in big events, even though the game was a disappointment.

We've got someone in charge now to take the game onwards, and if the Hearns could get involved to promote it then it could be massive, as the world cup showed.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

To be honest, also up to us RL supporters to get to the games. Not a lot to ask as it's not often we get top International matches, especially in this area.

So it's in all our interests to go live, instead of and so easily, watching on telly and cheer on the players.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Nezza Faz wrote:To be honest, also up to us RL supporters to get to the games. Not a lot to ask as it's not often we get top International matches, especially in this area.

So it's in all our interests to go live, instead of and so easily, watching on telly and cheer on the players.
Fans getting off their arses and going to games Would help a lot but the cap needs at least doubling, Telly fans aren't going to leave the comfort of their own homes if they are not going to see some top NRL players in SL
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

How can a game attract new supporters when the miserable sods of a fam basedo nothing but Bash it?

For Wigan something needs to be done about the DW, its such a poor atmosphere alot of the time, the sound system needs fixing and they really need to swap the away stand side or change the roof, i sit on the half way line and can hear 12 salford fans loader than the wigan drum ????
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Caboosegg wrote:How can a game attract new supporters when the miserable sods of a fam basedo nothing but Bash it?

For Wigan something needs to be done about the DW, its such a poor atmosphere alot of the time, the sound system needs fixing and they really need to swap the away stand side or change the roof, i sit on the half way line and can hear 12 salford fans loader than the wigan drum ????
I agree. Quite often remark how loud the small following is, looks to me like the north stand has a different roof, maybe because in the planning phase they thought the sun might affect the pitch ( oh the irony ????)
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Fujiman wrote:
Caboosegg wrote:How can a game attract new supporters when the miserable sods of a fam basedo nothing but Bash it?

I agree. Quite often remark how loud the small following is, looks to me like the north stand has a different roof, maybe because in the planning phase they thought the sun might affect the pitch ( oh the irony ????)
South stand has a glass roof where the North stand has a solid roof the aqustics with the glass kills the sound.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Nezza Faz wrote:To be honest, also up to us RL supporters to get to the games. Not a lot to ask as it's not often we get top International matches, especially in this area.

I can't really get behind England TBH. Should be GB.

Also I can't really get worked up about beating NZ. I always support them against Aus.

Don't really mind which team wins this series. Anyone but Aus.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐