A dying game?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Nezza Faz

Re: A dying game?

Post by Nezza Faz »

Mike wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:To be honest, also up to us RL supporters to get to the games. Not a lot to ask as it's not often we get top International matches, especially in this area.

So it's in all our interests to go live, instead of and so easily, watching on telly and cheer on the players.
I can't really get behind England TBH. Should be GB.

Also I can't really get worked up about beating NZ. I always support them against Aus.

Don't really mind which team wins this series. Anyone but Aus.

Seeing NZ beat Australia, it would be a proper result to have the series win against the Kiwis, who individually are up there with the best players in the whole of the NRL.

A positive result would be a feather in the cap for England and wouldn't do the game any harm over here, by way of prestige.

By the way, why not get behind the name England, it's been that way for ages and in any case, it would be exactly the same players selected as it would if it was GB anyway !

I think also in future, GB (or the original Lions) will become the team that goes down under to Oz/NZ on extended tours, which may well include midweek Club fixtures and possibly Tests against other Pacific nations.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Ive said before if you really want the game to grow you need players who transcend the sport.

We actually had this with Sam Tomkins, he was getting out on TV mixing it with footballers etc etc - but him going to the NRL was for me the beginning of the slide for Superleague. It basically labelled us a second grade comp and its very hard to ever sell a feeder league.

Any sports needs personalities to help it along i mean for example how many people watch snooker simply because of Ronnie O'Sullivan or cricket because of Freddie Flintoff and Kevin Peterson or F1 for Lewis Hamilton or Boxing because of Anthony Joshua.

Sports cant sell themselves on their own no matter how good they are they need a poster boy/girl. Problem is Rugby League has none, we have a lot of high profile players for the wrong reasons like our very own Zak Hardaker, but we dont have someone we can sell to the British public

Without that the sport will never grow and the issue at the moment seems to be stopping the rot rather than growing the sport, ive been a rugby league fan all my life but i must admit i rarely watch it anymore outside Wigan - i totally forgot about international test.

So if your hardcore fanbase is struggling there is a bigger issue
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Ive said before if you really want the game to grow you need players who transcend the sport.

We actually had this with Sam Tomkins, he was getting out on TV mixing it with footballers etc etc - but him going to the NRL was for me the beginning of the slide for Superleague. It basically labelled us a second grade comp and its very hard to ever sell a feeder league.

Any sports needs personalities to help it along i mean for example how many people watch snooker simply because of Ronnie O'Sullivan or cricket because of Freddie Flintoff and Kevin Peterson or F1 for Lewis Hamilton or Boxing because of Anthony Joshua.

Sports cant sell themselves on their own no matter how good they are they need a poster boy/girl. Problem is Rugby League has none, we have a lot of high profile players for the wrong reasons like our very own Zak Hardaker, but we dont have someone we can sell to the British public

Without that the sport will never grow and the issue at the moment seems to be stopping the rot rather than growing the sport, ive been a rugby league fan all my life but i must admit i rarely watch it anymore outside Wigan - i totally forgot about international test.

So if your hardcore fanbase is struggling there is a bigger issue
Agreed. Sam T was the last player we had who was known outside of the game.

As I have said before there's no incentive for players to be "The face of RL" because any money they may earn doing that would count on the club's salary cap.

The last thing club's want their players doing is earning extra wages and sending them over the cap limit.

This is a prime example of how the sport continues to shoot itself in the foot. The rule was brought in to prevent club's getting by the cap by having players advertising anything you could think of as in a local firm of builders or whatever sponsoring a player. Bradford got done for this with Harris. The trouble is it also stops the games star players from being the face of a nationally known company like when Sculthorpe was the face of Gillette. So in its desire to level the playing field and stop the players of top club's earning extra, the game has stopped itself from having any player fronting a nationally know brand and getting the attention that goes with it
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Hard to disagree with whats been written, the game is, while not quite on its last legs, its been taken to the doctors and he has that look on his face that can only spell bad news..I doubt wether the game will still be around in its current form with 15-20 years or so unless something changes.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

I am surprised no player has taken the RL to court for restrictive practice away from the rugby pitch. David Beckham and others made millions away from playing football. The salary cap has not done a thing for RL and wants scrapping clubs have still gone into debt the standard of rugby is poor and all the best players want away to NRL or RU to make more money. Why should a player be not able to model clothes etc its money earned away from playing rugby .
SJ

Post by SJ »

It's a creaking game. Always has been. But you know what they say about them. It'll see me out. :cool:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Caboosegg wrote:How can a game attract new supporters when the miserable sods of a fam basedo nothing but Bash it?

For Wigan something needs to be done about the DW, its such a poor atmosphere alot of the time, the sound system needs fixing and they really need to swap the away stand side or change the roof, i sit on the half way line and can hear 12 salford fans loader than the wigan drum ????
That is absolute rubbish! Salford have never brought as many as 12 fans! Haha
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I’ve thought for a while now that we are a dying sport. Hopefully the new boss will do something to energise the game and bring people back. Prices are going up but quality is declining. We won the League BUT I want to be entertained watching Wigan and entertained watching opponents giving it to us also.

The Cap needs changing for starters. I have thought that if a rich owner wants to spend money then let him/her. They should ‘bank’ £500,000 with thevRFL for insurance so if they do go bust the club will be bailed out with that security. (For example). Don’t you think the owners of Hull and Warrington have enough weaponry in their banks to assemble a championship winning side if the Cap is increased or scrapped. FC would gain thousands back to the KC stadium with a league title

I want to see top top NRL players over here. No disrespect to danny borough but to a young Wakefield fan is that encouraging for them? Imagine signing Greg Inglis how big a signing would that be even for a year.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The cap is an interesting one,I agree that it needs raising but what happens as it surely will Toronto get promoted?

Imagine a scenario where the cap is abolished..do you think that their Billionaire owner would sit back and not sign all top class talent that was available and make sure those that weren't available became that way?

I certainly do I think he sign players that'd make our heads spins with that in mind I suspect the cap will remain in place

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

fozzieskem wrote:The cap is an interesting one,I agree that it needs raising but what happens as it surely will Toronto get promoted?

Imagine a scenario where the cap is abolished..do you think that their Billionaire owner would sit back and not sign all top class talent that was available and make sure those that weren't available became that way?

I certainly do I think he sign players that'd make our heads spins with that in mind I suspect the cap will remain in place
Like we did back in the glory years