Tommy Makinson claims Golden Boot

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Tommy Makinson claims Golden Boot

Post by josie andrews »

The Saints and England winger has been named the world’s best player.

St Helens and England winger Tommy Makinson has claimed this year’s Golden Boot award.

Makinson was recognised by the Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) for his phenomenal season, scoring 11 tries for a Saints outfit that won League Leaders’ Shield.

Additionally, the 27-year old scored a try on his international debut against New Zealand in June and added a hat-trick against them on Saturday, also being named in the Super League’s Dream Team last season.

Makinson beat out James Tedesco, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and Elliott Whitehead who were also shortlisted for the award.

Australia’s Isabelle Kelly won the inaugural women’s Golden Boot, ousting Ali Brigginshaw , Brittany Breayley, Georgia Roche and Honey Hireme.

https://www.zerotackle.com/just-in-tomm ... oot-37843/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Tommy Makinson claims Golden Boot

Post by josie andrews »

Former Australia Test star and ex-Golden Boot judge Greg Alexander slams award’s new criteria after shock result

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/former ... a2f366b48e

Tommy who? Fittler fumes over 'ridiculous' Golden Boot choice

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/11/08/tom ... ot-choice/

I do not know if they are right or typical Aussie sour grapes
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

What a joke of a winner... how?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It seems like its been decided on the last game.

He wasn't even in the running for Man of Steel, but has now been voted as the best player in the world. He's a decent player, but not someone I fear when we when we play saints. Most of the time he's just stood on the wing.

Bateman should have been up there, he's been fantastic this season and in all the recent tests. And also Hodgson who's done fantastic to come back from injury.

I wouldn't swap Davies or Manfredi for Makinson.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

First Try Tickle wrote:It seems like its been decided on the last game.

He wasn't even in the running for Man of Steel, but has now been voted as the best player in the world. He's a decent player, but not someone I fear when we when we play saints. Most of the time he's just stood on the wing.

Bateman should have been up there, he's been fantastic this season and in all the recent tests. And also Hodgson who's done fantastic to come back from injury.

I wouldn't swap Davies or Manfredi for Makinson.
The new criteria is simply on international matches though so the seasons they've had are largely irrelevant

That said apart from one stand out match from Tommy i don't think you could say since the world cup he's been the best player in all international games outside of that one game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Worlds best player? :lol1: :lol1:
SJ

Post by SJ »

I feel for the lad. He should still be wallowing in the glory of his display of the 2nd Test but the"boffins " have secured him a meaningless award which can only embarrass him and set him up for criticism such as we are now seeing. A pivotal point in the lads RL career spoiled by an inappropriate award.
Never mind Tommy you shone in the Test Series,pleased your fans (all season) and impressed us Warrior fans. Congratulations on the recognition of all us fans who you have entertained by your efforts
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Oh the irony !! We have Aussies moaning about an award given to players who play internationals, YET They dont want to play international games unless it suits them.

Dont blame the player blame the system or more to the point blame the Aussies and get them to take their Insular over inflated heads out of there backsides and recognise that International rugby league is the future of the sport that way you make this award a more meaningful prize!!!

Congrats to Tommy Makinson, it pains me to say it as a wiganer but the lad is class.
Tommy is a Wiganer too ????
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

This is a typical RL cock up, take an award, that has gravitas and everyone understands, then change the way its awarded. The golden bot was for the worlds best player, and the names on the list are a who's who or RL, Kenny, Lewis, Hanley, Fitler, Thurston, etc

then there's the new golden boot, winners list
Tommy Makinson

Tommy deserves international player of the year, the problem is you compare the two awards, and they are not the same thing.

He wasn't even judged the best player at his club,
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I see comments are being deleted again because a certain person doesn't like the truth being told about her favourite player