Paul Rowley leaves Toronto Wolfpack head coach role

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Paul Rowley leaves Toronto Wolfpack head coach role

Post by josie andrews »

Toronto Wolfpack have parted company with head coach Paul Rowley by mutual consent.

The former Leigh player and coach, who has been in charge since the formation of the Championship club two years ago, says he had been considering his position throughout the 2018 season.

Toronto lost 4-2 to London Broncos in the Million Pound Game in October, a result that meant they missed out on securing a place in Super League at the first attempt.

Wolfpack director of rugby Brian Noble said: "Paul mentioned earlier in the season that he would like to review his position at the end of the 2018 season, the date when his original contract was due to end.

This role is one of the most challenging jobs in sport not only due to the on-field pressures, where Paul has been hugely successful, but also in leading a trans-Atlantic team treading new ground in the world of sport.

"Paul has played a huge role in an extremely successful two-year period and leaves the Wolfpack with an incredible 53-3-7 record over his tenure.

"We are sorry to see him leave but respect Paul's wishes that now may be a good time for a change of leadership so that the Wolfpack can redouble our efforts to achieve Super League status in 2019."

Rowley paid tribute to the progress made by Toronto but admitted it was time for him to move on.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the Wolfpack," he said.

"It has been a unique experience for me and I feel the club has been a breath of fresh air for our game as a whole.

have been considering my position throughout the season as this is not just any coaching job, and I feel now is the right time for myself and the club to make a change.

"I really do hope the club build on the last two years and achieve Super League status in 2019, I for one will remain a committed supporter of the Wolfpack and intend to follow the team closely moving forwards."

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... coach-role
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Shaun1967

Re: Paul Rowley leaves Toronto Wolfpack head coach role

Post by Shaun1967 »

Brian McDermott next?
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Shaun1967 wrote:Brian McDermott next?
good shout
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Or Shaun Wane??
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jaws1 wrote:
Or Shaun Wane??
Was thinking the same.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Toronto Wolfpack appoint Brian McDermott as head coach

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... head-coach
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That rumour about Brian McDermott had been circling since he left Leeds so no surprise, clear Rowley would have lost his job even if they'd have got promotion, he was there for the set up and had in reality taken them as far as he could.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I feel its a shame the RFL didn't realise there is a chance of increasing the amount of teams in the Super League next season by having 2 promotions. With only 1 promotion its going to be a battle between Toronto and Widnes. The loser will struggle to keep good players with another year in the championship. Also the year after these 2 teams will probably swap places.

If the super league had London, Toronto and Widnes all in, then at least there would be something to play for and the 2 survivors should be able to build a squad.

The only way to survive at the moment is to throw some money at players to hopefully keep you up, but then if it doesn't work out you could end up like Leigh and be almost finished.