Hetherington insists Leeds’ strong Academy IS their reserve team

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Hetherington insists Leeds’ strong Academy IS their reserve team

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos chief executive Gary Hetherington believes the Rugby Football League do not have ‘anywhere near enough’ knowledge to make a decision on whether to reintroduce reserve rugby – and says the case of Luke Briscoe proves there are merits to the existing system.

Reserve rugby is high on the agenda once again after Wigan declared they were considering scrapping their planned side for 2019. League Express understands a final decision has been made, leaving just Hull and Wakefield as the only top-flight sides with reserve teams.

Hetherington has always maintained that Leeds’ strong junior setup doubles up as their reserve team – and says the governing body must be prepared to due proper research into the impact a blanket return on reserves would have on the sport outside Super League.

Hetherington told League Express: “I just do not believe that those in charge at the RFL and the governing body have anywhere near enough knowledge or expertise in this area to make a valid call.

“If we were like Australia, had an abundance of players and a proper three-tier system, then fine – but this can only be delivered if you’ve got the bottom of the pyramid right.

“We’re all fishing in the same pond for the same few talented players here, and I think our focus should be on widening those pools and working with community clubs to get more youngsters playing the game.”

Hetherington cited a figure in excess of £100,000 for Leeds to set up a reserve team from scratch if it was made mandatory in 2020 – and questioned whether there are better areas for the sport to be spending such sums of money.

“I wonder whether that money would be better spent in getting seven, eight and nine year olds playing our game,” he said.

“We should be providing better pathways for players to come into our Academy, instead of on 20 and 21 year olds who are catered for via the Championship. Luke Briscoe is a fine example; he came out of our system but we always believed he had the potential.

“He was initially too old to stay with us, so he went into the Championship, played for Featherstone and, through his own ability, has now achieved a Super League contract.

“That’s a great example of how the Championship has become a perfectly good breeding ground for the game.”

http://www.totalrl.com/hetherington-ins ... erve-team/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Re: Hetherington insists Leeds’ strong Academy IS their reserve team

Post by jaws1 »

What a load of twaddle players in the squad are already contracted so to form an reserve team would be nowhere that figure .Its just because he does not agree with the new set up and he's not getting his own way .I cannot for the life of me think why Wigan,Saints and Warrington are not running reserve teams.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The case of briscoe where Herthington was so concerned about the lower league he pulled a player from them at the back end of the season and in the process put the end to their season.

I wonder if he would be happy with a NRL deal where another team could pull his star player out at a moments notice even just before a GF.

These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

If they don't want reserve sides why don't they increase the under 18s to under 21s with the option of playing 2 open age players in any one game.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

They can simply play their U19s in the Reserve League if he so chooses.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards