Can the RFL govern Rugby League?

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Can the RFL govern Rugby League?

Post by josie andrews »

A week last Tuesday I attended the All Party Parliamentary Group Dinner in the House of Lords.

It was an enjoyable occasion, with speeches from various people, including RFL chief executive Ralph Rimmer. It was a very pleasant evening, with the Parliamentarians handing out their own Rugby League awards, which were highlighted in last week’s League Express.

In his speech Ralph highlighted some of the positive things that are happening in Rugby League, while inevitably skirting around some of the more negative issues that currently confront the game.

It was good to see Ralph talking the game up. But we need to see him doing that to the wider public, while addressing some of the issues of governance that the RFL seems reluctant to address.

Super League has now distanced itself from the RFL and is effectively setting its own rules, as we saw recently with the revelation that it would introduce the golden point, introduce a shot-clock for drop-out from under the posts, reduce substitutions from ten to eight, and get rid of the free play.

The rule changes have apparently been approved by the RFL Rules Committee.

But will the changes apply to the Championship and League 1 competitions too? As Andrew Chalmers of Bradford Bulls has made clear, the clubs in those competitions have been left in the dark about this. The fixtures are now published, but as far as I know the RFL has not so far indicated whether these rule changes will apply in those competitions.

Rob Elstone, the chief executive of Super League, clearly wants to make his mark, although the changes, which virtually copies everything from the NRL other than having two referees, are in fact quite trivial in nature.

I’m quite sure that the golden point is not supported by a majority of Rugby League supporters, for example.

I think that a draw is often a great result for one or both sides in a Rugby League match and I’m not sure why we should want to change that.

But last year there were only four draws in the whole of Super League, so it’s unlikely to be a major issue.

I’m more concerned with the RFL’s low profile in actually governing the game and its apparent inability to make decisions whereby we can see a clear benefit in what it is doing.

Whether we are talking about reserve-grade football, the financial state of clubs like Keighley Cougars, its management of the Championship and League 1 competitions, its policies to promote participation by young people, or even its policies towards players having any representation in the game’s decision-making bodies.

The problems at Keighley are particularly dispiriting and are a poor reflection on the RFL, which allowed the new owners to buy the club apparently with few or no checks on their financial ability to pay debts that had accrued at Cougar Park.

Surely anyone seeking to acquire a controlling interest in a Rugby League club should have to deposit a bond with the RFL that could be forfeited if this sort of problem arises. The bond could then be used to pay off some of the accrued debts.

And the Keighley debacle illustrates once again that players need protection from club owners who don’t fulfil contracts.

The RFL’s directors in all of this remain virtually invisible, apart from Ralph himself.

RFL Chairman Brian Barwick is apparently paid £80,000 per year, as far as I know for six working days a month, and for all I know he may be worth every penny. His history in television and at the Football Association suggests that he must be a shrewd operator. But such is his low profile, and his reluctance to speak publicly about Rugby League issues, that I find it difficult to see what his contribution is, which makes it hard to measure its value.

Then we have two non-executive directors in Simon Johnson and Chris Brindley, who are both paid almost £30,000 per year, and again I am quite simply unsure what their contribution actually is. Maybe they give great advice to the RFL, but if so I would like to know what it is.

Rugby League supporters, in my view, like to see strong leadership at the head of the sport. When Maurice Lindsay was in charge of the game at least we had someone with high visibility in the media and a willingness to talk the game up as he saw it at every opportunity. He was certainly never afraid of the media, even if he would occasionally fall out with individual journalists, including me. But if a problem arose it would usually be sorted out by a quick phone call.

The RFL once again needs an input of energy and inspiration from someone like Maurice, so that we can all go into the new season feeling optimistic, not just about our individual clubs, but about the game as a whole.

I hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see it on the horizon.

http://www.totalrl.com/can-the-rfl-govern-rugby-league/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Can the RFL govern Rugby League?

Post by fozzieskem »

The game is a shambles at the moment that said if things don’t go to plan and SL doesn’t push on it’ll be down to Elstone and the gang of 11 to answer for it,can’t blame this on the RFL this time to have both Elstone and Rimmer doing pretty much the same job in a cash poor sport is shocking really.

It’ll end in tears for someone of that I’m sure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

First thing they need to do is force Hetherington out of the game, His shit stirring has caused a lot of problems in the game :angry:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Of course the RFL can run the game, they just run it very poorly though!
SJ

Post by SJ »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Of course the RFL can run the game, they just run it very poorly though!

:lol: :lol:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote:The game is a shambles at the moment that said if things don’t go to plan and SL doesn’t push on it’ll be down to Elstone and the gang of 11 to answer for it,can’t blame this on the RFL this time to have both Elstone and Rimmer doing pretty much the same job in a cash poor sport is shocking really.

It’ll end in tears for someone of that I’m sure
SL is paying Elstone though and it speaks volumes that the majority believe that the role was needed.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

TV money watered down too much after all its the SL clubs who got the money in the first place why should we be penalised with the lack of gate receipts when shown on TV .Would not happen in soccer its reputed that premier clubs could let their species in for free they get so much money.
SL should have a say in how its presented both on tv and in the press.When I was kid we got a 2 page spread now we don't even get a column.
No superstars in RL to put bums on seats
Challenge cup played at wrong time(now remedied)make it cheaper to fill Wembley or move it to Old Trafford.
Big name sponsor needed and not for free like Stobart was.
Promote the game more .
Get SL right rest of RL follows.
Let players earn money with promotions away from the game .
Increase or scrap Salary cap altogether
Bring back reserve or under 21 with proviso you could play 2 open age players in any one game.
Scrap the video ref too much time taken to make a wrong decision.